You can type here any text you want

Head porting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

monkeyy337

I've got a 231 (1984 model) motor (bored 60 over) with a decent TA hyd cam, aluminum intake (performer), headers, 390 cfm 4 barrel holley carb, Accel distributor (hot coil, etc) and was wondering if it would be worth while to do some minor port work on the stock heads. This motor went 15.48 in a full bodied Regal (lightned a bit) but was wondering if I could expect any more. Thanks in advance for your comments.

What trans and rear are you using, just curious? I would think doing some porting for extra power would be worth it.

What trans and rear are you using, just curious? I would think doing some porting for extra power would be worth it.
I've only got the motor (although I do have two Regals) but the Regal it came out of had a 4.10 gear/350 turbo trans. He shifted it at 5500 RPM. I know porting will help but would it be cost effective .?

Porting will help but your'e undercarbed believe it or not. Which intake are you using? If you get a late 60's early 70's q jet it has about 630 cfm but you will have to tune it and time the back butterflies. Pick up a copy of doug roe's q-jet book for more info and use a curve kit if you havent already.

I used a 4 barrel off a 307 v8 and recalibrated it-forgot how many cfm it was, but it was street legal and passed emissions. still have a true dual catback almost new with hedman ceramic headers if your in need. very reasonable.

I used a 4 barrel off a 307 v8 and recalibrated it-forgot how many cfm it was, but it was street legal and passed emissions. still have a true dual catback almost new with hedman ceramic headers if your in need. very reasonable.
Thanks but no exhaust/headers needed.

Porting will help but your'e undercarbed believe it or not. Which intake are you using? If you get a late 60's early 70's q jet it has about 630 cfm but you will have to tune it and time the back butterflies. Pick up a copy of doug roe's q-jet book for more info and use a curve kit if you havent already.
The motor has a performer intake on it. As being under carburated I was thinking the same thing. Today I noticed a late 70's early 80's Q-jet on Ebay that came off a 231 V-6. It was a stick shift car so I will have to see if it has a auto transmission kickdown connection point on it or not. I know some minor head porting will help but is it really cost effective with such a small motor. Hate to spend $300-$500 to only make 8-10 more horsepower if you know what I mean.

Granted that my info may be a few years out of date but I researched my Skyhawk quite a bit to get down to the 14's. The biggest advantage is a good free flowing system. Intake and exhaust flow are relevent to performance. My heads were ported so that the intake port would allow the exhaust valve to be inserted all the way into it. Flow equals power after all.

Back