You can type here any text you want

Head Removal Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
I'm in process of repairing a little bit of a head gasket blowout, and I was wondering if there is a way to get the driver side head off without removing the accessories. I pulled all the head bolts only to realize that something is attaching the accessory bracket to the head. I want to tear down as little as possible, since driving weather is already underway. Any insight on what to unbolt, so I can get right to work when I get home today would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:biggrin:

The accessory bracket is bolted to the head...3 bolts...

Attachments

• accessory bracket.JPG
    accessory bracket.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 189
Just take the accessories off. It's not that much work and it will make the job easier. It's one of those things where you'll do more work trying to avoid work than if you'd just done the work in the first place.:)

Take the alternator off first.

There are 3 bolts holding the AC compressor on. You can set that towards the front of the car. Watch for the 2 plugs coming off of it too. 15 mm nuts and bolts hold it on.

You might be able to leave the power steering pump on the bracket but make sure you tighten the 2 bolts holding it on to the bracket.

You must not have had that Buick long because head gaskets get easy to fix when you blow them up often enough.:biggrin:

And by the way the ground wires on the passenger side are the biggest biotch of them all.

Thanks All!

And no, It's been just under a year since I first took my GN home. Blew the HG last fall, and have been taking my time tinkering since. I already got the passenger side out with relatively little frustrations. Lucky me, I guess...

Back