You can type here any text you want

Head to header gaskets?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
jcawley3 said:
any one type better than other? Ported Steel Heads. thanks-John

Header gaskets? The ones that GM used from the factory are the best :)

The factory did not use any gasket to seal the headers at the heads. Also, the stock bolts are used with a captured lock washer so it will not loosen. Stock flanges do warp, especially after 25 years of use, and a leak is probable.

I have re-installed too many leaking stock headers, so my customers now always get gaskets, as I want to do the install only once. ;)

If you are going to use an aftermarket set of headers, it may leak w/o a gasket?

Some aftermarket headers use a much thicker flange, and it will NOT comply very well, if at all, to the head surface, so a leak is probable.

On alum heads where you do not want to apply as much torque as you would with an iron head, gaskets are recommended as well a bolt or stud that will not loosen.

What we have found that works best for us is to use copper gaskets, coated both sides with hi-temp silicon, and the use of studs with flanged nuts. My copper gaskets have been re-used at least 6 times, and are still working good! :)

Thanks nick.... I knew GM didn't use any.... any certain brand on the gaskets or the silicon?

I bought a set of SCE copper gaskets and have been using them ever since and that was 13 years ago. One of the best purchases i made even though i thought it was a little expensive for gaskets at that time. I also bought the copper turbo to header mount gasket and the turbo to down pipe exhaust gasket.

Back