header gaskets ??

national

Anyone else have any opinions on using gaskets or not on the headers ?? Im gonna get them milled flat cause DS is warped a lil from welding I guess..
Also whats everyone using on the header to turbo connection ?? Is there a gasket to use there or just use high temp permatex
Thanks.Brian

Someone posted a part number for one at local parts places a while back...anyone remember ?
Brian

Cool..thanks guys...I will probably put the felpros on since I already have them..but if I have to redo this..im gonna try the coppers..
As far as the header to turbo...anymore ideas..guy has posted that 1261269 was a gm part..hope thats not that silver stuff with holes in it...will copper perpatex be all i need there..i wasnt running anything before but wanting to make sure i have no leaks anywhere this time
Brian

I just use the standard felpro replacement gasket that the autoparts stores sale. They are a metal type on one side and paper on the other side. they work fine for me.

good luck
Chris McDade
10.84@125:)

Where can i get these fp1400's, i need to get a gasket that wont blow out like the paper and metal ones. I'll try to get the header flat and try no gasket first, but then i'll try to get the fp 1400's. Do the auto stores have them.

Permatex Ultra Copper for headers;)

I was a skeptic, but it worked great for me. No leaks at all.:D

Originally posted by crazygn
Where can i get these fp1400's, i need to get a gasket that wont blow out like the paper and metal ones. I'll try to get the header flat and try no gasket first, but then i'll try to get the fp 1400's. Do the auto stores have them.

You can get these from Advance. Receit is a little hard to read but 19781780 looks like their part number. You might need this because sometimes you have to prove that they sell these gaskets. Sounds crazy but it does happen sometimes.

I questioned silicone for exhaust at first myself, but with as manny 24 lb passes i got on it with no problems, im now a beliver. I found a copper based silicone (not Permatex) and so far its workd well. Silicone is great if used properly, surfaces MUST be Clean and Dry of ALL oil and old gaskets and rust. Also, a uniform bead of it instead of smearing it on with your finger works best.

Originally posted by national
Cool..thanks guys...I will probably put the felpros on since I already have them..but if I have to redo this..im gonna try the coppers..
As far as the header to turbo...anymore ideas..guy has posted that 1261269 was a gm part..hope thats not that silver stuff with holes in it...will copper perpatex be all i need there..i wasnt running anything before but wanting to make sure i have no leaks anywhere this time
Brian

I am looking for a header to turbo gasket too. Mine's not sealing right. Any vendors carry them?

I had the ATR copper gasket and it leaked within a year. I had good luck with the GM turbo gasket, but had to enlarge the a bit.

Poston has a header to turbo copper gasket for $7.88. I'm looking to get one when I get my new exhaust system.