You can type here any text you want

Header temps

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TrAb

BOOSTIN
Hey guys i just ordered a set of TA headers, i need to coat them. So does anyone know how high of a temperature a BPU cars headers would reach? I have 1200 degree ceramic coat. But was wondering if i should get hotter. Thanks

1700-1800 deg. not unheard of. Plus if you must break in a cam we are talking glow in the dark hot.......

If you are going to use 1200 deg. put a insulater under it.

Where would i buy a higher temp power / ceramic coating from? Also where can i find the insulator? Thanks

You will not find a powder to take that kind of heat.

Techline is one of the best for ceramics. The insulator is just a material with high heat range that is sprayed on first and then baked, Then follow your process and top coat with a ceramic top coat.

^^^ He knows what he's talking about. Ronnie did my turbo and it looks fantastic. He's been doing powder for a while and unfortunately is closing his doors but his knowledge is invaluable. He's helped several members do their own coatings so I'd listen to him.

Let me ask you this, what could i do from home? I have a large oven to bake anything in. I just do not want to send these off to get done.

You can do all of it from home. Must have a way to sand blast, perferably alum oxide 120 grit or corse sand. MEK, detail gun (.08 tip ) or cheap airbrush, oven.

If you want black that is fine. Techline is a very good company. The only reason it ever fails is improper application. When it says (i say) 120 grit alum. oxide they (I) mean 120 grit alum. oxide. That material is solvent based and easy to spray. Great to start with. The water based stuff can be a real pain in the buick.

Yeah i think id prefer black, so they are selling it in a small amount 4oz do you think that will be enough? Im not doing the downpipe, just headers and crossover

The only paint I have seen survive those temps is the flameproof 2000f stuff from VHT. Survived on my exhaust housing no problem, was quite a surprise.

The only paint I have seen survive those temps is the flameproof 2000f stuff from VHT. Survived on my exhaust housing no problem, was quite a surprise.

I was looking at that to, i used some on another car and it held up well execpt in a few spots i didnt clean well enough.

The satin black is not paint it is ceramic coating.

Back