You can type here any text you want

Headlights don't work, Brights do.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
The headlights don't work but when I click on the brights they come on. What gives?

Any one have this happen before? I don't feel like digging into this. If anyone has a simple answer please fill me in. I'm sick of the little dumb thing.

Dimmer switch?

I can't sleep. These things drive me nuts. I can't check it till tonight. I was thinking maybe the bright switch? Isn't this actuated by a rod under the steering column? I don't remember.

Can these thing go bad or become misaligned?

I don't want to start opening wire loom all over the place.:mad:

After almost 30 years, things do go bad or malfunction!

The switch is under the column like you said, but do not loose sleep over this car as it will drive you crazy since things are not going to get better from here on out! ;)

the hi - low switch is called the dimmer , on the left side of the column under the dash by the brake switch . it has contacts that have to handle all of the current to the lamps ..no relay , they can go bad
i had issues with mine with the hella H4 lamps and after replacing the dimmer i added two relays under the hood for the headlamps so now the dimmer only has to handle the low current of a relay coil.
they make plug and play kits to do the relays but i just wired my own in by the horn

Low beam filaments burned out? The low beam lamps have two filaments, one for low, and the other for high.

Pull a low beam light out and remove the connector. With the low beams on (switched on), check the voltage at the tan wire. Can use the black wire on the connector for ground. If there is power then check the resistance of the bulb, it is likely burned out.

If there isn't power on the tan wire, then it is back to the dimmer switch. May also be the C100 firewall connector contacts that are bad.

RemoveBeforeFlight

After almost 30 years, things do go bad or malfunction!

The switch is under the column like you said, but do not loose sleep over this car as it will drive you crazy since things are not going to get better from here on out! ;)

After 20 years owning this car, two stock blocks, one stage twin turbo motor, and all the other crap that comes with it.........You would think that there isn't a single thing left that hasn't happened yet. Then some silly little pain in the ass problem and I just loose it sometimes!

You should have heard me cussing the day my horn stopped working! My poor girlfriend didn't know where to hide.

Thanks guys. I'll dig into it tomorrow. I'm calm now.

Back