You can type here any text you want

Heads, cam and inj.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8killR4U

Is it hard or timely to install new heads, cam, and inj ?
I want to save some loot in labor and was wondering if i could accomplish the task on my own?

Originally posted by V8killR4U
Is it hard or timely to install new heads, cam, and inj ?
I want to save some loot in labor and was wondering if i could accomplish the task on my own?

Injectors are simple.
The heads and cam are pretty straight forward, but are just a little time consuming. If you can turn a wrench, you can do it.

Ross

Any more opinions out there, just curious on if this is a weekend project for someone thats never done this before. Just trying to get a time frame on how long it should take me?

if you can read you can do it. I did the heads on my 74 Olds when I was 16 and 1 months before that coouldnt even put a distributor cap back on. I got done the car ran and didnt have any headgaskets leaks. Get your torques right and in the right sequence and your golden.
PS....be very careful taking out the old cam and putting in the new one, you dont want to ding/mar the cam bearings. I would get or fashion a cam r/r tool to help with that

I've done all the above with engine in car but not at the same time...I would say at the very least a weekend for the heads and a weekend for the cam...as stated injectors are easy...maybe few hours...I'm sure these can be done quicker but I prefer to take my time...there are also a lot of variables...do you plan on cleaning up the parts real good and painting them?...do you have heads ready to go?...just a lot of little things that can be very time comsuming...cleaning parts/bolt threads...cleaning out the holes in the block for the heads with tap...cleaning off the gasket material from the front cover...etc...plus as you get into the project you may find other things that need attention...IMO I wouldn't try to rush the job...you'll regret it later when you're doing it all over again...

If you go as far as doing the cam and heads you might as well go ahead and take the engine out and do a better job. It really is not very much more work and the job can be done much cleaner and probably not very much more time. A lot easier in my opinion.

Back