You can type here any text you want

Heat guns and cometics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dr.drivability

9 second wannabee
Hey, what do you guys think of heating a set of aluminum heads and 109block evenly with high temp heat guns prior to final retorqe before install? Using cometics. don't have intake on yet. Could I avoid retorque after install if I get it all to 180, let it cool than retorqe. Would I hurt anything by doing this. Read somewere about a shop doing it w/ LT-1's.

I assembled the motor on the engine stand then ground the header flanges so my socket would fit. I no longer need to take everything apart. ;) That was also when the A/C was still intact. A 2 1/2 hr retorque is now 15min.

Oh...3 heat cycles does the trick.

On a V8, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to heat each bank with a heat gun. To me, it is worth the time. Let the engine cool overnight before retorqueing.

On a V8, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to heat each bank with a heat gun. To me, it is worth the time. Let the engine cool overnight before retorqueing.
I did exactly that. Now would a retorque be necessary after I run it???

Where did you aim the heat guns? Intake side? Exhaust side? All over the heads? Thanks!

I rotate between all the open coolant passages and egr passage to make sure I get an even temp across the complete head. Don't just tape the heat gun to one passage and leave it. The temp could get too high at that one opening. Some heat guns put out some monsterous heat.
I use a temp gun (meter) to check the temp across the head to make sure it stays even throughout the procedure.

I rotate between all the open coolant passages and egr passage to make sure I get an even temp across the complete head. Don't just tape the heat gun to one passage and leave it. The temp could get too high at that one opening. Some heat guns put out some monsterous heat.
I use a temp gun (meter) to check the temp across the head to make sure it stays even throughout the procedure.
When we did mine, we used two heat guns, on head at a time. I did the exhaust side and my buddy did the intake side. We thoughly heated the heads. Aiming into the coolant passages, intake ports, exhaust ports, heck even the surrounding block area, until everything was an even 190 to 200, and maintained it for 5 minutes. Then we let it cool overnight, then retorqued and stepped it up 5lbs to 80 lbs. I'm hoping this should cover it. it took about an hour. Hope I don't have to retorque in the car!!!

When we did mine, we used two heat guns, on head at a time. I did the exhaust side and my buddy did the intake side. We thoughly heated the heads. Aiming into the coolant passages, intake ports, exhaust ports, heck even the surrounding block area, until everything was an even 190 to 200, and maintained it for 5 minutes. Then we let it cool overnight, then retorqued and stepped it up 5lbs to 80 lbs. I'm hoping this should cover it. it took about an hour. Hope I don't have to retorque in the car!!!

Must get pretty warm in the garage doing that but I bet it helps a lot! Good luck!

Back