You can type here any text you want

Heat Signature on Conn Rods

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I'm tearing down my old engine and noticed that the piston pin end of rods 1,2,3 and 4 ran hotter than the rest. 1 & 2 were the worst followed by 3 & 4. Rods 5 & 6 had no signs of heat on the rods. Is this the result of alcohol going to the back of the plenum creating an uneven alky distribution ? I have a single nozzle Alky Control system with a Powerplate and a stock plenum. I also have 60 lb/hr injectors and a hotwired denso 280. The stock pistons look great.There was no heat trail down the skirts to the pin on any of these pistons so the pin was not sinched. Comments or newer intelligence is appreciated.

some builders heat the rods ends and chill the pin to make sliding the pin in easy , its possible the heat you see on the small end was from that

Stock rods are a pressed pin and the small ends are heated for installation as stated above. You can't read into what you're seeing.

Neal

Stock rods are a pressed pin and the small ends are heated for installation as stated above. You can't read into what you're seeing.

Neal
Neal you are 100% correct. My bad...I saw no heat signature on any of the pistons so I should have realized that some rods were either left in the furnace longer than the others.The reciprocating assembly was balanced.

Back