Heater core problem Fixed

The_Six

Every one that has replaced a heater core lately has ran in to the trouble of not being able to find one that fits. Well I knew there had to be a way to work this out without having a vendor having one made.
For any one that hasn’t seen it the replacement is an aluminum unit that does not have the cut out in the center needed for the mounting bracket. Here are some pics of the new and original core .
IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

You can see in the pic above that you can flip the bracket around and put the screw in from the back and it will kind of hold it in place but with a good bounce out will come so that’s not a good fix.
What I did was took some 1/8 in aluminum plate cut it 1 ½ wide and then bent it around the top of the new heater core. You have to make it just a little wider than the core is then squeeze the leg facing the mounting bolt in until it touches the core this is so the screw will not hit the core. You are now going to be putting the screw in from the back side so drill a pilot hole in the new bracket then use the original screw to tap the hole out. After you have done this grind the point of the screw of this is for just in case you hit the core you don’t want it to put a hole in it. I’m not the best at explaining things so here are some pics of how it turned out.
IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

How did you remove the bad Heater Core???? Can it be done from the engine compartment or did you have to remove it inside the car??

I got it from Orilles Ill get the part number off the box tomarrow for you.

Did anyone ever get a part number for this core? I bought a brass one from NAPA and of course it did not fit. :(

Sorry for got to post that here its a ready air 399088 from orilly auto parts.

I bought a Spectra heater core and it is exact shape as factory other than its aluminum. It to came from Napa..

Cool got the pics were did you get it from that would make life a lot easier I went through sevral cores before I found this one and made it work.