HELP 20psi after chip????

S

Sleeper87

Today my friend and i put my mods in.....TTA-FPR and my Thrasher street 93octane chip...And my 9"K&N Filter....I took it for a ride and i was gettin 20psi of boost? Uhmm is this bad? I have been off the gas to keep it under 15psi....But i dont know what to do...I still have that problem where it goes really fast then u floor it it goes Fast then calms down a bit then goes fast then slows down a bit...if you know what i mean....Thanks
Sleeper87

My car did that when I first bought it. I had a pin hole leak in one of the vac tubes going to the wastegate solenoid. Some guys can get away with running 20lbs. with a Thrasher without knock, but I can't. Unless you have a scantool or knock guage, keep your foot out of it until you get your overboost problem fixed.

Replace the vac lines on the wg solenoid and make sure the y is in the correct position. That's a good place to start.

Well im done wit the GN im selling it.....No one can give any help to what my problem is...the dealership dont know...i live in maine so no one will know......GN is being put up for 8k....Unless i can get some help with my problems last night i got embarrised bye a Talon Turbo wich runs 14.1 in the 1/4 and i have my mods on now.....So im done....
87GN

Why don't you go to Jack Cotton's to get her looked at. He is in Mass. It shouldn't be that far. Don't give in to quickly.

anyways how many miles do you have on her and do you have any pics :)

What scan tool data do you have available for tuning those mods.?

I second taking it to Cotton's for evaluation.

What boost is the Thrasher chip programmed for?

Did you verify your fuel pressure with a gauge?

Do you have an adjustable wastegate actuator?

Real technical questions require some real data and facts and a lot less other stuff. ;)

Don't take your car to the dealership either. One hour at Cotton's would be worth 10 there, in MHO.

I wouldn't take your car to a dealer, unless you need the oil changed. And then I would check the level as soon as I got it. You can't be too careful. Cotton's is a good place to go. I wouldn't give up too soon. These cars are awesome. They just have a bit of a learning curve. Try replacing the vacuum lines that go to the turbo. One connects to the exit of the turbo, one to the wastegate and one to the wastegate solenoid. Replace them one at a time, and tie wrap the lines on, so they don't pop off under high boost. If this doesn't cure your over boost, then try unplugging hose on the wastegate solenoid and plugging the line. If this fixes it, then you probably have a bad solenoid.
Keep posting your problems on this list. The people here are very knowledgable, and will surely be able to help you out.

Brian

If you went from a stock chip to the Thrasher then loosen (lengthen) your waste gate rod. That might even stop the surging. I had some part throttle surging with an over tight rod and loosening it cured the problem. At least it's another easy thing to try. A leaky wastegate actuator might be a culprit too. I am not sure how to test it without a MityVac though.

Where you at in Maine? You native? I was born near Portland (Westbrook) and have a bunch of kin (via 15 aunts & uncles) up there.

Good luck,
Tom Miner

Well as ive stated above i have no scan tools.....I will order Turbo-Link this weekend......Its a Thrasher Chip 93 octane for STOCK injectors.....As for the over boost thing.....Ill check the hose's n stuff.....But Im gettin Detonation Big time Knock i can hear....if i harp on it.....So im gunna keep my foot out of the overboost...stay within the 1/4 throttle deal......I do not have an Adjustable Waste Gate Rod.....can i still lenthen it? doubtfull
thanks
Sleeper87

Once you get turbo link, you'll be able to tune that dog in and thne it will run like a scalded dawg.

The Thrasher chip, like most vendor chips, use a more aggressive waste gate solenoid modulation strategy. An adjustable waste gate rod will allow you to adjust for whatever boost you want.

Another candidate in the list of possible surging suspects is the fuel pump. If it is stock then change it out ASAP, if not sooner!!