You can type here any text you want

Help - Found Mystery Cotter Pin

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

Spent the better part of Saturday with the car in the air. Steam cleaned the undercarriage & it looks great. Re-lubed the front suspension, flushed & replaced the coolant and installed my new intercooler shroud. The only mystery? When I was done, I found a bright (looked new) shiny stainless cotter pin on the driveway under the car. About an inch and a half long.

I checked the car carefully and the parts manual. The only cotters I see under there were there on both sides (in the wheel hubs and tops of the control arms) - & those were, well, "used" - bent into where they belong and showing their age/use.

This one, looks like it just came out of a package for a new install. After thinking about it for a while I resigned myself to read the SM and PM carefully to see if I can spot it and ask here. I figure anything that clean and "unbent" etc. either a) wasn't "in" anything (may have been road pickup that was wedged somewhere) b) was in the driveway before or c) was a "reserve" item that, given the lack of wear/tear, wasn't playing that critical a role!

Anyone? I'll try to take a digital of it tonight so I'll have it to email to anyone who thinks they might know.

Thanks!! - And by the way, new duct and emblems from CAR - the real deal!

May have been just sitting on top of something under the car, placed there by someone doing some work on it in the past, and the pressure from the steamer blew it out from where ever it was resting.

Yeah - that was one of my three hopeful choices! - I figure if a couple of other guys can't think of anything, I'll be good to go!

Any pictures of IC duct installed? Got one in the box (from carmotorsports.com) still and will install later when I do some work to my front end, looks great but would be interested to see some pictures of it installed as well.

For the cotter pin, can't help. Not seen one on my TTA so you should be fine

I'll take some pictures this weekend of the IC duct installed. Can I email them to you Jan? - what address?

Overall, the IC install went pretty easy. I was going to try to get the old one out without touching the sway bar but I couldn't get anything on some of the side screws. Loosened the four bolts holding the front of the sway bar up, it rolled down and out of the way and I was in business. Got the old one out in about 10 minutes. New one went in like a dream - the abs "square" that goes around the IC shrinks a little in transit so you have to "lip" it around to get it all on the outside - grabbed a corner and pulled it around - kind of like on a plastic food container!

The only down side (if you can call it one) is that I couldn't get two of the screws back in. I didn't mess with it that much but it appears that the drilled holes in the new duct were ever so slightly off on a couple. When you're reaching in with your fingertips (where these are) if it's not lined up, it ain't going! - I'm going to play with it a bit more but with 10 of 12 in, it's not going anywhere.

Dave

I'll take some pictures this weekend of the IC duct installed. Can I email them to you Jan? - what address?

Overall, the IC install went pretty easy. I was going to try to get the old one out without touching the sway bar but I couldn't get anything on some of the side screws. Loosened the four bolts holding the front of the sway bar up, it rolled down and out of the way and I was in business. Got the old one out in about 10 minutes. New one went in like a dream - the abs "square" that goes around the IC shrinks a little in transit so you have to "lip" it around to get it all on the outside - grabbed a corner and pulled it around - kind of like on a plastic food container!

The only down side (if you can call it one) is that I couldn't get two of the screws back in. I didn't mess with it that much but it appears that the drilled holes in the new duct were ever so slightly off on a couple. When you're reaching in with your fingertips (where these are) if it's not lined up, it ain't going! - I'm going to play with it a bit more but with 10 of 12 in, it's not going anywhere.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes you can e-mail them to Jan_L@rsson.com appreciate that. Look forward to get mine in there, will clean and paint the IC at the same time as well. Also got a new id plate to go on the IC.

Thanks for the instructions that will help.

Regards

Jan

Jan - where did you order your front spoiler from (GM?) - Assume you notched it yourself?

Pricey? Mine is intact but has some road rash so I'm thinking of replacing it.

If you mean the lower airdam infront of the IC duct etc I bought it off e-bay (original GM in the box) there's a few people / companies selling them on there. It contains all the lower pieces and all hardware. They run about $35 or so + shipping. You will have to cut out for the IC duct like GM did originaly, piece of cake with a dremel if you use your old one as a pattern.

Originally posted by Jan Larsson
If you mean the lower airdam infront of the IC duct etc I bought it off e-bay (original GM in the box) there's a few people / companies selling them on there. It contains all the lower pieces and all hardware. They run about $35 or so + shipping. You will have to cut out for the IC duct like GM did originaly, piece of cake with a dremel if you use your old one as a pattern.
After finding out the part# in my other post, the GM part# for the air dam is 12395557 and is still available from gmpartsdirect.com for $21.35

plus shipping I assume?

My local shop is getting me one for $35 (no shipping obviously). Cringed when I saw what happened on that auction!

Some of the items on e-bay go for way to much like people aren't aware of what things cost at the dealer .... I got mine off e-bay but no-one else was bidding on it so turned out cheaper than getting it at the dealership.

Back