HELP...how is the TA-49

bryguy

BACK IN BLACK !!!
I just had major work done by a very professional mech and need a new turbo. I just opened my wallet and spilled out some serious cash again for the new turbo (TA-49). I am getting it from J. Craig and he said my billet alluminum adaptor needs porting. He said that he would send the adaptor and wants mine + Turbo for a core charge. My Q is will I get a piece of steel or something nice ??? My real Q is how will this Turbo work better than the OE with my combo listed in the sig. ??? Thanks in advance oh mighty TURBO GURU's:eek:
Bryan

Please Respond $$$$$$$

I really want your opinion on my combo and the turbo. Thanks
Bryan:eek:

Hi Brian,

Don't fret... I don't think too many people know about this new section of the BB! (I didn't till about 90 seconds ago!)

The TA49 is a good turbo. I had the TE44 which is the same except a slightly different compressor housing. You'll like it... I would say it is a good match for your combo.

As for John Craig, he has a very good reputation for turbos and such. If you've got a billet bell, the one he wants to exchange with you should be identical but the bore has been opened up some for the bigger turbo. He'll do you right... no worries!

BTW... I'm no "guru" nor do I play one on TV! ;) Just saw you were looking for a reply, so I gave you one! HTH!

I have a John Craig TA 49 on my car and i love it. We have similiar mods on our cars so i think you will be happy with it too. Had it for over 2 years now and has been a good investment.

Scott

A TA49 is a good choice. Nice street manners, lots of potential. And you couldn't deal with a better vendor. In all fairness, the guys at PTE have always treated me great too!

Dave

Bryan

A few points here:

1. I have a John Craig TA49 and I think it's terrific. If you do a search you'll soon see that John Craig is probably the most reputable turbo guy we have. I think you'll be satisfied.

2. When I got my turbo from him, I had to return my stock one also as a core. I paid a little more for the TA49 from him (including considering the core return), but hey, you have to pay for the "best".

3. As for your combo, everything looks good except your injectors may be a bit small when the TA49 is working it's hardest. For comparison, I have 009s (42.5#). For street driving, your 36#ers are fine. On the street, you'll probably notice no difference between the stock turbo and the TA49 unless your stock turbo was a POS and in that case you'll notice a big difference just going to any new turbo. It's at the track at 25 psi boost where you'll see the TA49 helping you make 50 or so more HP over the stocker.

4. Don't know anything about this adapter you're talking about. Maybe others have heard of it, but I haven't. What is it? If you're concerned about what John will give you in exchange, just ask him. Or maybe just don't get one from him, keep yours, and get it ported appropriately (whatever that may mean).

5. What does it mean when you say...
I just had major work done by a very professional mech and need a new turbo.

Almost sounds like your mechanic messed up your turbo!

Mike

No, the turbo was NFG before he brought it in for work.

I believe that typically the billet inlet bells are offered with two bore sizes. One for stock turbos and one for larger than stock. I am assuming you have the stocker and John wants to swap you for one meant for the TA49. Jay

HEY PRONTO !!!

Stop Lollygagging and get to the F#$%^&@ POINT !!! LOL...Thanks and yes the mech thought it was the timing chain but it turned out to be the turbo making a hidious rattle...but I saw the timing gears and chain and it is a miracle it did not break & ruin the engine. The oil pickup screen was almost shutoff due to metal shavings...OUCH !!!
Bryan:eek:

I was in Friday to get my son's car inspected and saw the parts in a box on the floor. The screen was loaded! I tried to scrap alittle off to look close at it but it was baked on. I think it was the plasic from the gears stuck on it. Doing the timing chain now was the right thing to do. Have fun with the new turbo ;)

You might want to step up to a slightly higher than stock stall converter.

No guru here either. Another JC TA49 used here too as I recently replaced a bad TA49 (CRHA thrust shaft end play) after 3 yrs. I decided to keep my bad core and pay the extra as I'll get it rebuilt one day to keep as a spare. My combo is pretty similar to yours. The sweet spot is around 23-25 PSI on the TA49 I've found, and it will pull over a stocker turbo in those ranges where you will notice a seat of the pants difference. I use alky to run those and haven't had race gas in my car as it's a driver. You may want to consider an alky injection kit at some point- IMHO, one of the best bangs for the buck mod you can do.

Had one in my car which was stolen.

Loved it spooled well. Plus as I made mods t the mtrth car kept going faster.

Heads ,intake, intercooler, Injectes.Portedintake.

Ran 12.18 @ 118 17pnds. boost. On a 60 degree day.

Other 2 times got 3 runs. 12.20, 12.21.

Great street maners.

HTH'ed..................:)