You can type here any text you want

Help. How to weld headers? *urgent*

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
My headers are warped (the pass. side because they where welded earlier) and I was going to have them fixed. When I checked the drivers side today, I noticed it´s got some cracks too :(

When I tried to find someone who could TIG them for me, they started asking questions as:
What materials are the headers?
What kind of additive for the TIG?

So these are the questions I´ve got for You guys. Could anyone help me with this?

Best regards
/Andreas

I found some info under General Turbo Buick Tech. Are these headers the same type of material.

Ok. Found out that the stock headers are 409SS, and a friend of "the crazy Swede" will fix it for me tomorrow morning.

Yo Lunkan!
Are you having your own thread to chat in or what?;)

Without having any idea at all at the "409SS" stainless steel that is a USA name i would say that, that it would be the worst stainless stell ever made!
That stainless stell is one of the lowest qulitest ever made and very difficult to weld in, even with a TIG weld and gas around it.

As we say here in Sweden: Cheap **** from USA..:D BUT!!! We do like a lot of the power it makes!:D :cool: :cool: :cool:

You guys in the "old country" Have no idea what cheap is. You should try to make something besides "VOLVO" which in this country means BORING !!!!!!!!!
Have a nice day (even if it lasts a month there) Turbota. Put that in your frozen pipe and smoke it. P.S. I still enjoy your posts.

Yo, Uffe!
Nice to see that You FINALLY is making some progress in Your assembly of the motor :p More POWER to the people :D

If no one else whants to talk to me, I´ll might as well talk to myself ;)

Volvo? Is that something to eat? We atleast have a bunch of 10sec and 11sec Volvo´s here :cool:

Just a note, if you have your headers welded, the factory header bolts/studs won't work as the washer is too large of a diameter and will sit on the weld. Use regular "Header Bolts" with the small diameter head. Same threads as a small block cheby but probably longer than most chebys use. HTH

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Just a note, if you have your headers welded, the factory header bolts/studs won't work as the washer is too large of a diameter and will sit on the weld. Use regular "Header Bolts" with the small diameter head. Same threads as a small block cheby but probably longer than most chebys use. HTH

OK, no problems with that.... you see.... here in Sweden we can handle a TIG weld.:D ;) :cool:

Passenger side was welded on the outside 2 years ago, there was no way to weld it on the inside since there was some old dirt and the bad quality of the "stainless".

The last one did only have a small crack but one of our friends cleaned it with some heavy sh*t i don't remember the name of and it was almost so it could be welded.

Pics at our T/A club, scroll down to the middle.

http://www.tacs.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6891&start=20

PS: I used to be a TIG instructor and master/test welder at Asea research 20 years ago.

Do a search for Argon gas purge, whereby the header is all blocked off, gas on one end, and a vent on the other. The gas assists with the weld.. at least I read that some where..

Yes its very cheap steel.

HTH

That´s only used when in a very sensitive environment, like nuclear and dairy. It will help to "clean" the weld. There´s a couple of different gases used.

And to qoute the welder:
"What´s this POS!!!??? Whatever it is, it´s not stainless. Look, this POS is magnetic, and it contaminate when welded. Stainless doesn´t do that."

Ok, the third Swede must write in this thread to :)

Have to say that even if I am from Sweden, Volvo and Saab sucks.

As someone said, just boring cars. To common, and to ordinary looking.

Moste of them goes in the 13-15 sec range on the track. But as Lunkan said, some goes 10-11... but you can almost count them on one hand.

Daniel

Third Swede , I am the guy who said those things. This was not a shot at the Swedish products, just a Jab at the Swede . My brother was the North American manager for Volvo several years ago and I used to harass him to no end for it. The "Swede" has always been a positive supporter of this site, and I respect his sense of humor, and his input. I have no personal issue with you guys other than to have a little "global" fun with you. You are welcome in my home (as I have told the "Swede") any time you are in the Detroit area. The only requirement on my part is that you bring your own guns for protection as mine are registered to me. Please feel free to contact me if you are to be in the area, and we will try to set up some fun stuff for you while you are here. I have access to most of the PAS prints and some other PHS stuff for our cars. No dis-respect meant to you or the other enthusiasts in your God-forsaken country.Turbota #70. P.S. talk to the Swede...............

Thanks for thoose words Turbota... Well I have not taken anything as a offense. Your all ok, except that the quality on the cars could be better lol... If I ever come to Detroit, I will remember what you said, but no guns for me haha...

Btw, I am the second Swede. Lunkan is the third, he got his TTA latest of us 3 :)

And my oppinion is still that Volvo and Saab is boring cars.

Daniel

Originally posted by Swede2
Ok, the third Swede must write in this thread to :)

Daniel

Ha! You said it Yourself ;)

Hmm, too bad I sold off my guns a year ago. Could have been good to have protection when going to the states... Do You think a condom would be enough protection for the gangs :rolleyes:

And now I´m forced to drive a god damn Saab. I had ordered a Volvo V40, but a friend at work quit, so I got forced to take over his -02 Saab 93 Aero :( Sure, it´s a nice car, but I wanted a stationwagon.

Originally posted by Swede2
Lol, kids on the way....

Daniel

No way, at least not for a year or two. I need to spend some money on the TTA first ;)

Back