You can type here any text you want

Help in Edmonton

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jarredsoon

My tta has a blown head gsket and I am not the man to fix it. I need a good mechanic familiar with the buick turbo motor close to Edmonton AB Canada. Anyone have any ideas?? PLS HELP Jarred.:(

Dean at Alberta Engine Rebuilders 448-9470 has worked on a few GN's and has treated me great for over 10 years on a lot of different projects. He is probably too busy too take on more work but is a great guy.

There are a few very good engine builders here. When I used to Bracket race, I used Louie at AMS or Larry at BEL. Both capable builders along with many others. The problem, is that if not familiar with these engines, you are risking your assets on their learning curve. I personally know of a few TR guys that have had very positive experiences with Nolan and Campbells. He is an easy guy to talk to and if you spend 5 minutes with him you know he speaks fluent Buick. An easy choice for me.

He is an easy guy to talk to and if you spend 5 minutes with him you know he speaks fluent Buick. An easy choice for me.

I agree and know them all as well, Louie because that's where I do my dyno's, Larry because his brother Les is a good friend, Nolan because I went to him for advice while doing my twin turbo Vega and I have done a dyno their a few years back before Nolan was their but their dyno sucks.
Nolan probably knows the Buicks better then anyone around here but it's just a head gasket and if any of the ones mentioned above including Dean couldn't do it right they wouldn't be in bussiness still.
Personally I'd do it myself but I could name a few more shops that could do it as well and at a resonable price.

Ya I spoke to campbell again and they told me to try Kartunes. Thats a shop that will take the heads off and campbell can machine them if necessary. I have an appt booked for friday, not sure if I should cancel and do it myself. But thenI am not an experience mechanic??? Kartunes told me to expect about 2500.00 for a bill. How does that sound to you guys??
Jarred.

Ya I spoke to campbell again and they told me to try Kartunes. Thats a shop that will take the heads off and campbell can machine them if necessary. I have an appt booked for friday, not sure if I should cancel and do it myself. But thenI am not an experience mechanic??? Kartunes told me to expect about 2500.00 for a bill. How does that sound to you guys??
Jarred.

Seems high to me, but I'm not that current with shop rates and such. I suggest that you join these guys and ask on the board if someone local can steer you. Grand National Club of Alberta Forum - Index

Kartunes is one I was going to suggest but that does sound high to me as well. Another place I would suggest is Jazz Auto mostly Dodge guys but have worked on lots of high end clasics. Again it is only a head gasket and not a rebuild.
If you want I may be able to set you up with a very exprienced GM mechanic who is also a GN nut. He does some work out of his shop at home but lives in Onaway. If nothing else I could check with him on what it should cost for you.

Seems high to me, but I'm not that current with shop rates and such. I suggest that you join these guys and ask on the board if someone local can steer you. Grand National Club of Alberta Forum - Index

I was just looking at your albums and now know who you are, at least your Nova. Nice work with the jewerly btw. I was in the same Powerama where you are parked beside Rudy's old Nova (which Dean at Alberta Engine now owns) with my old Camaro. I also know Stan fairly well from the track.

Rudy quit racing the same day I stood my Vega on it's bumper twice:eek: . The first time I was right behind him when he did his first pass with his new motor in the tube chasis Nova. He stood his on the bumper and came down hard, after they cleared the track I did the same thing but managed to stay in it and ride it out. After that his wife made him sell both cars.:( My second bumper dragging pass wasn't so pretty.:(

hey ya anything and anyone willhelp, esp if all you guys think 2500 is way too high
Thanks, Jarred.

I talked to my buddy that works for GM and he said the same as the rest that the price sounded way to high. He did say that they were probably quoting to do both which makes sense but still to much.
He doesn't have time to do it but said he will see if they have an older book so that he could look up the flat rate for it and pass it on. I'll let you know what he finds out when I hear back.

Hey thanks alot man, that could really keep me from getting screwed!!!
I don't wanna spend more than I have to, much rather have the extra cash for tta toys!!!

My friend said he couldn't find the flat rate on it but he talked to a couple other GM mechanics and they both said it shouldn't be more then 12 hrs. which with parts shouldn't be more then $1500.

I just talked with my friend again and although they don't have the flat rate on the TA the GN flat rate was 8 hrs which he thought was low. I also asked Dean and he said with resurfacing the heads parts and labour he would think $1,500 would cover it.
Maybe you should ask Nolan what he thinks it should cost as well without telling him what Cartunes quoted. He should be able to give you a pretty close idea.

Back