You can type here any text you want

Help, Is my car running right???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
What chip are you running?
do you have any logs of the run?

What was the RPM as you went through the traps?

this is a Non locking convertor???

the 26" tires are helping much either....

What is your boost level and timing?

there are a lot of holes in your info to give you any advice.

What chip are you running?
do you have any logs of the run?

What was the RPM as you went through the traps?

this is a Non locking convertor???

the 26" tires are helping much either....

What is your boost level and timing?

there are a lot of holes in your info to give you any advice.
Im running TT chip(alky) timing 26/21, trap RPM5400, LU 3000stall,26''BF_DR,Boost 20-21.

Something is off, Your MPH is low, and your 60ft is pretty bad also.

I'd Add some fuel up top, Looks to be in the Tune.

was your convertor locked? looks to have 11% slippage

do you run in jackson sc

i live pretty close .i think you should be running alot faster.1/8 and 1/4 mph looks to be slow for your combo.pm me maybe me or friends of mine could meet you at the track sometime to work the bugs out.:biggrin:

i live pretty close .i think you should be running alot faster.1/8 and 1/4 mph looks to be slow for your combo.pm me maybe me or friends of mine could meet you at the track sometime to work the bugs out.:biggrin:
I just saw this reply, but yes i go to jackson dragway as much as possible, but i work 3rd shift. I took the car out tonight, and i did away with alky, but i added 4% fuel at WOT, the car did a 12.44@112mph, the O2 thru 1st, and 2nd are 894-850, then at the end of the trap its down to 731, im launching the car easy, and running 20-21 psi. I dont think my boost guage is right, and how do i make it drop in fuel on launch(build more boost?) Also added timing in 1st/2nd @27, 3rd @21. Fuel psi at rail is 45psi!

I just saw this reply, but yes i go to jackson dragway as much as possible, but i work 3rd shift. I took the car out tonight, and i did away with alky, but i added 4% fuel at WOT, the car did a 12.44@112mph, the O2 thru 1st, and 2nd are 894-850, then at the end of the trap its down to 731, im launching the car easy, and running 20-21 psi. I dont think my boost guage is right, and how do i make it drop in fuel on launch(build more boost?) Also added timing in 1st/2nd @27, 3rd @21. Fuel psi at rail is 45psi!

IMHO.... STOP..... you are going in the wrong direction...... before you hurt something.

1.) You have an alky chip.... it is programmed for alky to come in.... therefore it has less fuel programmed in it than a non alky chip. This is why you have 850-894 fuel in 1st and 2nd.... yet much leaner 731 in high gear...

Re-initiate the alky. Look closely at your run on the datalogs....back off the timing until you get things sorted out....

If it is FAT on the bottom... pull some 1st and 2nd gear fuel out (which you can do with Eric's TT chip unless it is real old).... For starters I would go maybe 23/21 timing.... 20-21 psi boost.... shoot for botom 800's in 1st and 2nd... then 750-770 thru the traps.... once you get there.... you can start sneaking up on the tuneup.... a little more boost... watching for knock.... watch the 02's.... etc....

IMHO the 731 in high is where you want to sneak up on..... but you made drastic changes... all at once... (no alky...increase timing...add fuel).... IMHO that is too many changes at once.

IMHO.... run the alky... it cools the mixture... supresses knock... there is absolutely no reason not to run it if you already have it.... and your chip is cut for it....

Are you adjusting the fuel in the chip...... or do you have a translator you are adjusting the fuel with....

What scantool are you using?

Keep posting... and asking questions.... we can help you get there... just give us some time...

Ok, my alky kit is homemade i can set amount, and at what boost it comes on. Im not using the alky because the pump i leaking. I have a cold air cone on my air filter will that slow me down? Anyway i lost a race tonight, so im going to start over, and i cant use alky until i get a good kit. I have good gas in it, so i can try and tune with good octain. My chip is new, and all i have to tune with is a Scan2.1, my chip is 3months old, but it wont let me add fuel to 3rd unless i add it to all gears. You can add fuel in 1st gear, or all gears at WOT, you can adjust timing in 1st-2nd then 3rd-4th, thats it.

If you must run w/o the alky..... you are going to have to lean 1st gear fuel way out...... and add overall fuel. I would say taking 10% at least on 1st gear fuel.... but adding another 5% in the overall fuel.....

I also would back off the timing until you get the mixture better...

The very first purchase would need to be an alky kit....or if that is going to be awhile..... a new chip w/o alky programmed in it.... b/c I don't know if there is going to be enough adjustment in the chip to let you get high gear right.... and 1st right....

It is just not designed to do that...

You can try... until you either get there... or run out of fueling adjustments... that will tell you what you "must" do next.....

Thx for info, so i can subtract fuel in 1st, then add fuel to all gears? Will tuneing with a lap top, help that much? I have no idea what to do with that.

Thx for info, so i can subtract fuel in 1st, then add fuel to all gears? Will tuneing with a lap top, help that much? I have no idea what to do with that.

Yes.... based on your previous run.... I would make that recommendation... I would rather see a datalog from a powerlogger or a directscan......it gets many datapoints per second.... where the scanmaster only gets 2-3 datapoints on an entire run..... The scanmaster has it's place... but isn't a serious tuning tool IMHO.... because of the limitation of the refresh rate thru the ALDL port it hooks to...it's can't see everything that happens during a run...

In your case.... I'd continue to take out 1st gear fuel until it got to the low 800's or the upper 700's.... watching for knock.... and I'd keep tweaking overall fuel until I got mid 700's at the traps.... with one thing to remember.... if you get 1st gear fuel close.... and you need to pull some fuel in high gear....you must add that same amount to low gear so it stays the same as it was....since it didn't need tweaking.....

Clear as mud?

HTH

Yes... laptop tuning IMHO... has no substitute..... for example..... your scanmaster collects 2-3 datapoints during an entire 1/4 mile run.... where Directscan... gets up to 18 datapoints per second.... and I am sure powerlogger is similar... that's 225 or so datapoints in a mid 12 sec run.... you can easily see air/fuel ratios....RPM's.... see where the shift occurred... etc.... see the RPM drop every shift.... It really helps for tuning....

Ok, i put chip back to where it was, and it ran alot better, Mid 700 in 1st/2nd, and 750 at trap. I add 2points in timing in 1st/2nd that lean it more. Now i cant build boost to 5psi without spinning tires, but the car has great hydroboost brakes. It seems to like T/C lockup, but i got to figure how to make it lock without lifting up on brake pedal, if i adjt switch on pedal to come on, the car dont drive good in normal driving. Do i need better tires, i have 26 BFG. The car is still only getting 107-112mph, with a 60ft of 1.8-2.0, how much boost do you need to leave with to get better Mph? Oh chip is made for 22/20 timing-20-24boost, but i bump it 2point in 1st/2nd.

Ok, i put chip back to where it was, and it ran alot better, Mid 700 in 1st/2nd, and 750 at trap. I add 2points in timing in 1st/2nd that lean it more. Now i cant build boost to 5psi without spinning tires, but the car has great hydroboost brakes. It seems to like T/C lockup, but i got to figure how to make it lock without lifting up on brake pedal, if i adjt switch on pedal to come on, the car dont drive good in normal driving. Do i need better tires, i have 26 BFG. The car is still only getting 107-112mph, with a 60ft of 1.8-2.0, how much boost do you need to leave with to get better Mph? Oh chip is made for 22/20 timing-20-24boost, but i bump it 2point in 1st/2nd.

Your launch boost has absolutely no effect on trap speed....launch boost has everything to do with 60' time and ET.... the trap speed is the HP indicator.... the ET shows how well you made use of your HP/TQ....

The torque converter won't L/U in 1st.... it is physically and hydraullically impossible..... you probably only need 5-6 lb launch to get sub 1.8 60' times....8-10 lb launch should probably net 1.6X 60' times....

As far as tires.. I personally hate BFG's.... I really like MT drag radials....and their ET streets... M&H racemasters hooked well for me as well...

On a decent track at your power level... some good drag radials should easily go 1.6x 60' with little to no suspension work..... so yes... I think you might could use better tires...

What boost are you at now?

What timing now?

What launch boost?

Depending on thos numbers... you might can increase boost.... or increase timing (but not both at the same time).... to get the trap speed up....

Also... what converter did you say you have?

What octane fuel?

What intercooler?

Your launch boost has absolutely no effect on trap speed....launch boost has everything to do with 60' time and ET.... the trap speed is the HP indicator.... the ET shows how well you made use of your HP/TQ....

The torque converter won't L/U in 1st.... it is physically and hydraullically impossible..... you probably only need 5-6 lb launch to get sub 1.8 60' times....8-10 lb launch should probably net 1.6X 60' times....

As far as tires.. I personally hate BFG's.... I really like MT drag radials....and their ET streets... M&H racemasters hooked well for me as well...

On a decent track at your power level... some good drag radials should easily go 1.6x 60' with little to no suspension work..... so yes... I think you might could use better tires...

What boost are you at now?

What timing now?

What launch boost?

Depending on thos numbers... you might can increase boost.... or increase timing (but not both at the same time).... to get the trap speed up....

Also... what converter did you say you have?

What octane fuel?

What intercooler?
Boost is at 20-22, but i think my gauge is off. timing is 22-20, and launch at 5lb, octain is 110.

Hello here is the time on my G-tech. 1/4at12.53(107.2mph) 1/8(7.97)86.2mph. 60ft=1.82, 330ft at5.15(sec) 0-100mph=10.45(sec) and 0-60 at 3.85(sec). O2s about 750 thru trap, not sure of Rpm, i was scared to look down! Do you see anything in this that maybe wrong? That was a 5psi launch. 20-22 boost/timing at 22/20.

I think i found the problem, my boost gauge is reading way more boost than im getting, i think. I ran out of 110oct fuel, so i cant see until i get more, but i turn the rod on the acuator and its like the car wants more, i will let yall know!!!

What boost gauge? Not the factory one I hope....

Be careful.... don't make to much of a boost change w/o re-tuning.... more boost will lean the car out.... and if she was already fairly lean....she could pop a head gasket before you know it....

Small steps....

Back