Help me make up my mind. Max Effort or Extender chip?

GNVAIR

I never mind spending the money for a quality product, but I am legitimately torn between these 2. I know there is a substantial difference in pricing and features.
My new combo is a girdled stock short block, ported stock heads, ATR 309H cam, TE45 (.82 turbine), 9x11 convertor, 72lb injectors,
Translator plus
The car is mainly a street driver, with an occasional trip to the track. My goal is maximum tunability. I know there are things that can be done with the Extender that cant be done with the Max Effort and vice versa. I want everyones honest opinions.
Sway me either way. Thanks guys

....This is truely an "opinion" subject.

I went through the exact same decision a few months ago and came up with this...

Both products are excellent. Both products work as advertised.

Yes, one does things the other doesn't (ME gives you more control over fuel, with limited timing control/// trans+ system gives you timing control and some limited fuel control) BUt you have to decide what you NEED more and what you'll use.

I finally chose the Max Effort 16.
WHY?
Steve Yaklin himself. (I think he e-mails telepathically!)
Great guy, never made me feel stupid or like I was bothering him even when I asked the most trivial questions, ones I'm sure he's answered a million times...after I bought it he held my hand through the learning curve and gave me ALOT of good advice along the way on other aspects of TRs.

The ultimate setup in my opinion would be a MaxEffort16 with the trans+

They have never let the ME run in the GSCA Nats because it is considered an unfair advantage. This year it was allowed to run TSM with the DFI cars.

One of Louie L's cars finished #2 running a ME. I think he should have put a Power Plate on it after seeing what Jason was running. :D

Both the Extender and ME are excellent chips, no doubt. The ME is aimed at giving the owner the fastest chip out there without being concerned about the emissions side of things. Because of the inidividual features which may be easily tweaked by the owner, it is easy to accomodate various engine combos.

The Extender is a very innovative chip as well. It is probably aimed at a larger audience and should pass emissions testing when set on closed loop. It has some features added that try to give it some features of the ME like lean cruise and launch assist.

I am a very strong fan of the ME and I like some of the built in features like the automatic enrichment when detonation is sensed, the ability to adjust richness as desired for spool up and launch and then select a fuel curve for the rest of the run that is different. I also like the ability with larger injectors to move the entire block of fuel curves up or down to accomodate the boost being run. When running alky and higher boosts all the time, this is not as critical as it might be when switching from 16# on 93 to 28# on 116, but, it still allows one to set the normal selected fuel curve to a lower tw number so there is plenty room always left for enrichment if detonation is occurred and the chip starts adding fuel.

It is an extremely streetable chip unless one wants to pass a strict emissions routine. Drivability is outstanding and the ability to adjust for tb size and accelerator shot makes it easier to dial it more extreme combos.

I am sure you would be happy with either chip. Two of the premier chip guys around. It really depends upon what you want, I think. :) I have used ME's with 36#, 40#, 42.5#, 50#, and 75# injectors. Currently I am running 36#, 50#, and 75# injectors in my three cars with ME's. I want to find some time to try the new mafless prototype that is being tested. If Red can go to a four inch maf, I think Steve Y is on the right track in just eliminating it. If he has to run with the DFI cars, he might as well just call it DFI and be done with it. :)

Wow guys! That was some awesome info there.
I definitely want the tuneability of the Max Effort. I am not concerned with emissions as I have other chips/injectors I can swap in when it comes time for the sniffer tests.
My one question now is this;
Will I be able to adjust the timing with my Translator + if I run a Max Effort?

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Wow guys! That was some awesome info there.
I definitely want the tuneability of the Max Effort. I am not concerned with emissions as I have other chips/injectors I can swap in when it comes time for the sniffer tests.
My one question now is this;
Will I be able to adjust the timing with my Translator + if I run a Max Effort?

I have the straight Translator so I cannot answer that. Salvage V6 has the Plus but did not answer me the other day when I asked him if he had tried it. Pehaps he will chime in.

Sure you can adjust the timing with the T+. It won't show up on the ALDL data stream however.

I haven't played with D.S. enough to check if it changes on that display. I "think" it does.

I like the ME and the T+ setup. Bosch 43lbs. for me.

I do have the newest Extender to try too. :)

The ME comes with two timing default zones of operation, or at least mine did.

Mine is 18 and 20 street timing with alky. and shooting for higher boost.