You can type here any text you want

Help me pick a tire!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn87turbo

Not sure what to go with. I purchased a set of the Nitto 245-50-16 drag radials and was not pleased with them, great on the street but they would not hook at the track. I'm thinking of getting a set of the MT ET Street 26-10.5-15. Is this a tall enough tire for my car? If not, what size would work best? I want a decent 60 time with no spin. My car should be in the mid to low 12's. I have all the rear mods (airbags, swaybar, kyb's).
Thanks
Patrick

Anyone running the Mickey Thompson ET Street 26-10.5-16, if so how are they at the track? Would these work on my turbo trans am wheels?

How are you launching the car footbrake? Transbrake? E-brake?
What were the tire pressures set to?
How much boost did you try to leave with?
What were the 60ft times?

How are you launching the car? footbrake
What were the tire pressures set to? 18psi
How much boost did you try to leave with? about 3-4 lbs.
What were the 60ft times? best was a 2.0

I had some 1.6x sixty foots with my 255/50-16 MT Et Street drag radials at the track. They look great on some GTA wheels also.

Nittos like to be HOT. Look in your mirror while doing burnout and once you see solid white smoke rolling off, count to five, then let off the gas.

I already sold the Nittos and I want to try something different. I'm glad you posted 87NAT because those are the ones I'm looking at getting. Did you have to heat these up pretty good? Also, did you avoid the water box?

Never avoid the water box on drag radials, just back into it so you don't get the fronts wet.

M/T DRs don't need anywhere near as much heat as Nittos. They also hook a LOT better.

I can get these used for about $150. These are the 255-50-16 MT Drag Radials. Do you guys think they are worth it? They have about 30 passes on them.

Attachments

• P8120050.jpg
    P8120050.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 251
  • P8120051.jpg
    P8120051.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 247
I run 22# at the track and 28# on the street.

The tires in the picture will be OK for the track but probably not legal for the street because of tread depth. These tires are barely legal when new.

Here is a pic of the MT ET Street 26-10.5-15

Attachments

• sweet launch.jpg
    sweet launch.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 224
Not sure what to go with. I purchased a set of the Nitto 245-50-16 drag radials and was not pleased with them, great on the street but they would not hook at the track. I'm thinking of getting a set of the MT ET Street 26-10.5-15. Is this a tall enough tire for my car? If not, what size would work best? I want a decent 60 time with no spin. My car should be in the mid to low 12's. I have all the rear mods (airbags, swaybar, kyb's).
Thanks
Patrick

With your combo's ability to run mid 11's, I would look for a 27-28" tall tire.

255/60 and 275/60 will work better in the long run than 26" tall (or shorter, in the case of Nittos) tires.

I've used all four of the tires in question (MT ET Street, MT ET Radial, BFG Drag Radials, NITTO Drag Radials)....

The best hooking of the four seemed to be the ET Radials. Just a quick burnout is all they need. They wear pretty quick on a daily driver though. You can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 miles with them..maybe a little more if you don't make it to the track much. And you have to be VERY concervative when driving in the rain.

ET Streets worked great too, but don't even think about getting caught in the rain.. Great at the track though. Almost as good as a real slick.

Nitto's never worked for me. Never got anything better than a high 1.6 60' on them. Good street manors for daily driving, but don't hook well on the street under boost...

I think my favorite all around for a mostly street driven car were the BFG Drag Radials. Get em nice and hot at the track and they launch well. Decent on the street and drivable in the rain. If I drove my car more than weekends I'd buy them again.

I ran a 275/50/15 (26") on all four. IMO, the MT ET Radials are the performance king of the drag radials... I run about 15# at the track and 20# on the street. The ones in the pic look kinda worn and, depending on your driving habits, may not have too many months left in them. But if you've got a car that sees a lot of street driving, I'd look towards the BFGs....

---Ron Jr.

I've used all four of the tires in question (MT ET Street, MT ET Radial, BFG Drag Radials, NITTO Drag Radials)....

The best hooking of the four seemed to be the ET Radials. Just a quick burnout is all they need. They wear pretty quick on a daily driver though. You can expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 miles with them..maybe a little more if you don't make it to the track much. And you have to be VERY concervative when driving in the rain.

ET Streets worked great too, but don't even think about getting caught in the rain.. Great at the track though. Almost as good as a real slick.

Nitto's never worked for me. Never got anything better than a high 1.6 60' on them. Good street manors for daily driving, but don't hook well on the street under boost...

I think my favorite all around for a mostly street driven car were the BFG Drag Radials. Get em nice and hot at the track and they launch well. Decent on the street and drivable in the rain. If I drove my car more than weekends I'd buy them again.

I ran a 275/50/15 (26") on all four. IMO, the MT ET Radials are the performance king of the drag radials... I run about 15# at the track and 20# on the street. The ones in the pic look kinda worn and, depending on your driving habits, may not have too many months left in them. But if you've got a car that sees a lot of street driving, I'd look towards the BFGs....

---Ron Jr.

X2 on the ET Radials,I am running 1.53-1.55 60ft.with them.The only thing comparable to them was a true MT slicK.

Thanks guys! Jays87gn, thats an awesome pic btw:eek:
I may end up going with a et street slick. I don't plan on running my car to often at the track but when I do I want to get the best I can out of it. Looks like I'll be saving up for a set of the MT drag radials for the street because it sounds like they are much better for our cars than the Nitto's I had.

Back