Help me troubleshoot :No boost, sounds like a v8

witchdoctor813

First off I dont have a scanmaster. The turbo doesn't seem to be engaging at all. Turbo doesn't have oil in inlet or excessive play. All help appropriated

what do you mean "sounds like a V8" ? it is louder now? Any recent work done to the car? Did it have boost, then one day not?

Bob

Well you said it sounds strange. Exhaust leaks will do that and cause boost problem.
Other than that the waste gate may be not sealing for some reason or the Turbo is worn or no good , bearing, etc.

Plugs look good? Do you try new ones?

Wastgate puck ? Vacuum line off ,I would check exh. leaks for sure. Just some easy things to start out.

The two times that happened to me one was the crossover separated ( sounded like a v8) and the other the coupling between the turbo and intercooler ripped ( got a loud sound of rushing air with that one) Only other thing I could think of is maybe the turbo is seized

My guess is the waste gate puck is stuck wide open and the exhaust is not getting chopped up by the exhaust turbine and the turbo is not building boost????

make sure the plug wires are in the correct sequence.

How do you check the puck?

Pull the retainer clip off of the w/g puck arm, and remove the end of the rod. Then see if the w/g lever moves freely.
You can also pull the dp off, and check the puck coverage, and the lever/shaft movement.