You can type here any text you want

Help! Need advice on how to proceed with build Please!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNT

Hello-

So I took my 88k completely stock motor over to the shop to be refreshed (rear-main, valve springs/seals, oil pump kit, timing chain and a few other items. Well, this morning the shop calls and tells me that the cam has significant wear and needs to be replaced. He also stated that I should take the heads out and take them to a machine shop while I am at it. I don't understand why the heads should be taken off when wear on the cam has no direct relationship with the condition of the heads. Before taking the engine off I performed a compression test and all the cylinders were between 145-150lbs each.

I want this car to be a daily driver and not a strip car YET;) and so I'd like to keep the top and bottom end stock for the time being. The only upgrades I plan on making will be to install 009's and TE-44.

My questions are as follows.
What would be the recommended after-market replacement for the stock cam?
Outside of replacing the cam should I consider replacing anything else?
Should I break the head seals and take them to a machine shop?

As always, thank you all for your time and much appreciated advice.

Leave the heads alone if you don't want to go faster.a small roller is all you need and will work with the 44 you plan on in the future.

206/206 is a safe bet. Just include a new TT-chip, w/possibly new injectors. Eric usually offers a good deal on both.

Since you've got it out, I'd drop the pan and install a Melling pickup that doesn't have a trap door and clean the gear teeth out. And replace all the rocker shaft buttons if you can find the correct round ones.

Unless they have a specific reason for working the heads don't pull them off. There is some power there, but there's also more money, and I'm guessing you'd like the car back on the road before winter.

Same thing with the cam. I'm curious how they could tell the cam ''had significant wear'' when you can't see it just by pulling the valve covers and timing cover. If they put a dial indicator on the pushrods and noticed some flat lobes, then yes, it's time to go roller.

Small on the cam and close to stock,200/200 range no bigger than the 206/206

The comp cams are good, the lifters not so much. Going roller is the only way to go imo... but do yourself a favor and get the morel roller lifters from ta performance. I put the comp cams 212/212 in mine, and the lifters are noisy as hell! This has been an ongoing problem with the comp cams lifters. You'll also have to switch to a shorter push rod. Also, plan on changing out the valve springs to match the lift on the cam. I think you'll be happy with the update to a roller cam. I know I was!

Last edited:
Back