HELP! Radiator and fan 225 degrees

turbo96max

I have an 86 grand national with the upgraded front mount intercooler kit, 50 lbs injectors,pt54 turbo. the car is in miami fl. i need to change the radiator. I have been told to go with a 92-95 5.7 camaro radiator. is this correct? also will the stcok fan work fine. i am currently running at 220-225 degrees (with ac)and i would like to drop this down to 190 is possible. also do i need the oil cooler, can it run fine without it?

rc fans

I would get the ramchargers dual fans before the radiator. It will make a night and day difference.

the dual fans are a great upgrade. as far as radiators. i would either go with a Arizonagn.com its better then stock but its stock appering and cools great or go with either PTS Alum. or Gbodyparts Alum Radiators. both area really nice cool like crazy both are ver light but it will cost you more.

radiator fans

I was told to look for dual fans that wil provide more cfm's than the stock unit. Will the fans that gbodyparts.com sells as work? they dont post much iinformation about cfm.? what year ramcharger do i need to get the fans from? are those better than the fans off the fords?

do a search

Ramchargers is the name of the company that sells the dual fans. They also make a plug n play adapter for gn's, so no wire cutting is necessary. I bought mine a few years back, but I remember them to be pretty inexpensive. I run a pte front mount with a stock radiator, and temps never go above 173 degrees

well it was leaking so i had to find a replacement quick, i purchases a 92 z28 unit from autozone, some guys told me that will be better than stock. but temps still slowly climp to 190's. so im lookign towards fans.ramcharger , ok i will look up the company, is it better than the gbpdys that they sell.??

Man, you should have done a search on the F-body radiator... I hope the one you bought is the single core aluminum one everybody told me to buy. Its fantastic, and is really really light.

I just ordered dual fans with caspers relays from Gbodyparts.com, shipped it the same day. Cost $165 with the relays or without them, you can get the plug & play for $100.

P.S. with the fbody aluminum radiator, my temps were at 170 give or take a degree with the stock fan. But it went bad, so I bought duals. I should be running at like 168 tops now.

Man, you should have done a search on the F-body radiator... I hope the one you bought is the single core aluminum one everybody told me to buy. Its fantastic, and is really really light.

I just ordered dual fans with caspers relays from Gbodyparts.com, shipped it the same day. Cost $165 with the relays or without them, you can get the plug & play for $100.

P.S. with the fbody aluminum radiator, my temps were at 170 give or take a degree with the stock fan. But it went bad, so I bought duals. I should be running at like 168 tops now.

Do i need to get the relay kit? thats so it works on high and low? or can i just go with the adapter and run them on high all the time? the radiator i got is a one core from a 91-92 camaro or potiac firebird. i think it may not be up to par though. dammit, unless the stock fan is giving up, it blows, feels strong but its a stock unit and i just got the car so i really dont know if its 100 percent. radiator part number that i got was 433918 off 91 350ci chevy camaro??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I run the same F-body radiator filled with water and "Water wetter." I run dual fans off a 1996 Trans Am that I modified the stock harness to fit.

I run the same F-body radiator filled with water and "Water wetter." I run dual fans off a 1996 Trans Am that I modified the stock harness to fit.

i just took it out to lunch, still running at 215, better then 225, with the old readiator. I am thinking that the impellers on the stock water pump are probably 1/2 way gone from corrosion. any body think it could have something to do with it.???

have you used these? if so, im ordering them right now. has anyone placed 2 fans infront of the intercooler? pushers?
these dual fans are only 2400 cfm,, isnt the stock single higher in cfm?? like 3500??

No, it's not. Do a search. There are several fans in the aftermarket that are better than the stock fans, and some that can be found in the salvage yards.
The first and easiest thing you can do to cool down that engine is to bypass the resistor in front of the fan. Just get rid of the "Lo" speed altogether, so that whenever the fan comes on, it comes on "High". The ECM won't switch it to high until something like 230, and you want it to come on at a much lower temp. (it should come on high with the A/C running, though)

Caspers relays arent NECESSARY, but recommended to take the load of your stock shiznit. I ordered those so I dont have to mess with it again.

The PN you gave me on the rediator IS the correct one.

Good job.

could be the water pump fins but i have never seen one destroyed from corrison at least not on a buick. it might be a bad thermostat or you have one in there thats not a 160. try the stat first then the water pump

Yup, replace the thermostat with a 160* and find out what computer chip you have. Most good chips will have the fans turn on somewhere between 160* and 170*. Heck, you might have the stock chip and thermostat in there.

Recheck your coolant level...make sure it's topped off. I did the same swap this week, went with gbody parts dual fan and his adapter for the harness. You just need to trim the plastic on the dual fans very easy, I used a hand saw to cut the "ears" off.

Chuck

If you're still running hot check to make sure you have the rubber baffles on both sides of the radiator. Mine didn't have them at first and air was going around the radiator instead of being forced through it. It makes a big difference at higher speeds having the baffles installed.

I put those on my car, and along with Spal dual fans and Fbody radiator....my car never gets over 180 on the highway and that's with a front mount and AC on.

Ok guys, I am a newbie so I appreciate all the help. I spoke to the previous owner of the car. He had the 160 thermostat in there already. I dont see the baffles on the side of the radiator, but I will double check.Im happy that atleast I bought the right radiator, (0; I was told to use a cobra fan assembly, supposedly it is used on all big blocks here in miami , its the bomb, but its a very expensive project. Parts with relays and switches about 270. Also was told to make a scoop like the older vettes under the front of the car to direct air infront of the condenser, this sounds like a good idea. I will have to do the resistor trick, are there any how to's on that mod?

Pretty easy; on one side of the resistor, you'll see 2 wires- ziptie them together (reference if you decide to reinstall the resistor later). Then remove the resistor, remove the wires, and bolt them together.