You can type here any text you want

help!! VIN reading diffrentally

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

937dytboi

well did a vin on a GN and the vehicle descripption didn't match up with the car. the car is a gn but the carfax said its a regal limited with a 5.0 engine. could there have been a mistake when switching from one state to another or did some of the gn's read as a regal limited such as an impala reads as a caprice on a carfax

If it's a 86-87 the 8th digit of the VIN would be a 7 and I believe a 9 if it's a 84-85

Maybe known as a "rebody"??
The driveline has been put in a Limited?
What's the trunk sticker say? Match the dash VIN?
What's on the inner fender? Molded into the plastic?
Smells fishy to me.....

well the vin reads out as a limted regal.. I believe I've been shafted. I plainly read the carfax before buying and didn't know if the car read regal limited or grand natiional after doing some research I've found most peoples vin to read correct engine size and say grand national. no rpo is on the decklid I need to locate the body plate. what do I need to do now. im sure someone is looking for there grand national and I want to do the right thing. does this mishap affect the value of the car im so pissed.

Look at the inner fender . Unless it's been wrecked/replaced, there should be "turbo" molded into the plastic.
What's the VIN on the engine block? Dr side, right at the bellhsg area.
1. I'd get hold of the seller, and have a "come to Jesus" w/ his a$$.
2. That fails, I'd be talking to the cops. Maybe, a visit to the DMV, and discuss, "in general terms", what can be done.
Is the seller out of state?
3. If this is true, the value is not near what a nice, REAL GN, would be worth.

Are you planning to respond to Eric's post??
"Post up the VIN. I can't decypher second hand misinformation."
He can likely tell you exactly what's what....

thanks chuck for the response. this mishap has left me depressed becase I've always wanted a GN. I will have to check the vin on the engine.

that's why I hate crooks, I was skeptical on buuying the vehicle

im young and dumb and was anxious to have a GN. I did the carfax prior but after doing more reading on the board he lead me to this conclusion

well hopefully it will work out for ya .. don't wait ..if your goin to do something make it fast .. good luck

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Post the VIN from the engine and the VIN tag. Was it a member of this board? Unfortunately the car's value is in the crapper now. As other's have said I would contact the seller (my foot contacting the seller's ass, if need be) and then take it up with the authorities.

937dytboi, it would really help if you posted the VIN numbers on the VIN tag at the windshield and posted the RPO codes. The VIN is on the RPO code sticker (on the underside of the decklid [trunk door] on the passenger side) as well. Also, as mentioned earlier, check the VIN on the engine block and POST ALL OF THESE NUMBERS!!! It's hard for anyone to help if you don't give the information.

Good luck.

Eric

well the vin reads out as a limted regal.
Are you saying the VIN checks out for the wrong motor? Post up the VIN and satisfy our curiousity.:wink: I can solve this one way or another. There was a thread over on the other board about a guy who thought he bought a GN but it turned out somebody painted a two tone Turbo Regal black. Maybe you have a legit turbo and all can be salvaged?

Eric ..I think he had it posted in the 8th post (8:11am) .. now its gone :confused: from what I remember (guessing) I think it had M47 in it near the beginning.. nothing like the title VINs I have here for T's and GN's

did ya happen to get the eng # yet ?? that may help ya figure this thing out ..

Back