Help with drag slicks

ZNix

Young-Gun
Hello everyone. I picked up a used set of slicks, on the cheap, and in really good shape. I couldn't pass it up. Anyways, I had one of them mounted to check fitment on my car, but they seem to rub. I have stock GN wheels, and the slick is a Hoosier 28-10-15. The rub is slight, it just squeaks on the frame. Could I use spacers or am I looking at different rims for these to fit? I really want to get to the track Saturday and test her out with a tire! I think maybe a 1/8th spacer would work.

Thanks guys
Zack

Grumpy said:
I wouldn't go any more than an 1/8th spacer with the stock wheel studs

I wouldn't consider using any drag radial or slick with stock axles.

I wouldn't consider using any drag radial or slick with stock axles.

where is your sense of "ADVENTURE" :p These cars took a lot of crap like this when they were new !! BUT now add 25 years of abuse ... well it's a crap shoot. Oh I think they would be ok with his kind of power. :cool:

Grumpy said:
where is your sense of "ADVENTURE" :p These cars took a lot of crap like this when they were new !! BUT now add 25 years of abuse ... well it's a crap shoot. Oh I think they would be ok with his kind of power. :cool:

Probably but his local track as you know won't let it fly

I didn't think the axles would be a problem :confused:. So they won't let me run the car with stock axles at the track? Or are you talking about the wheel stud length? I've been looking on craigslist and about to hit the junkyard to check for some rims that would work.. I was hoping these slicks would work, but I guess I was wrong. They have a section width (measured by me) about 11.5", which is a lot of tire to get under the car... At this point I should probably just sell the slicks and get back my money..

I'm curious about why he can't run at his track with DR's or Slicks? I've ran DR's and slicks for years on stock axles with no problems. I don't know what Zack's HP is but I'm around 450-500.

And Zack I have ran in the past the 28X10 MT Slicks on stock T rims with no problems. I currently run the 28X9's but not because of any fitment problems. Use the 1/8 spacers those will be fine.

Can't say tech ever looked at my studs before or after I got drag radials. I did got to Moser axles and used screw-in studs that are thicker and longer than the stockers when I started cutting faster 60's. They did say my old set of dr's were too worn and not to use them again.

Can't say tech ever looked at my studs before or after I got drag radials. I did got to Moser axles and used screw-in studs that are thicker and longer than the stockers when I started cutting faster 60's. They did say my old set of dr's were too worn and not to use them again.

you have stock rims.... aftermarket rims have different requirements. Zack I should have some T rims if your interested.

you have stock rims.... aftermarket rims have different requirements. Zack I should have some T rims if your interested.

Grumpy, if those will work, maybe we can work something out. I went to autozone and bought some cheapy spacers for 15$ or something. 1/4" spacers did not work for me. They still rubbed, so I am guessing the rim is not wide enough, which is unfortunate. I measured the section width, which is 11.5"s from inside to outside tire bulge. Some 15x8s with 4" backspace maybe?

Zack

ZNix said:
Grumpy, if those will work, maybe we can work something out. I went to autozone and bought some cheapy spacers for 15$ or something. 1/4" spacers did not work for me. They still rubbed, so I am guessing the rim is not wide enough, which is unfortunate. I measured the section width, which is 11.5"s from inside to outside tire bulge. Some 15x8s with 4" backspace maybe?

Zack

A wider rim will make it worse. The section width will increase with wider rims. You need to move the wheel outward. Also it would be very easy to break a stock axle with a proper 60' hook even at 450hp. 1.50-1.52 is what I'd expect with a good hook.

A wider rim will make it worse. The section width will increase with wider rims. You need to move the wheel outward. Also it would be very easy to break a stock axle with a proper 60' hook even at 450hp. 1.50-1.52 is what I'd expect with a good hook.

Okay, I understand now. So to make these fit, I'll need to run T-Type rims, and they MAY fit. I also have a good chance of breaking an axle.. Lovely. Anyone looking for some 28-10-15 slicks, lightly used?

Nix

You should be able to space it out with any rim if it's hitting the frame. More spacer is needed

Hell I broke a stock axle just pulling a boat load of 1.70 60 foots then 1 1.65 60 ft then snap.

Your track may also tell you that all 4 of your wheels need metal valve stems and each stud must stick out past about half n inch past in threads from the end of the lug nut, and a driveshaft loop.

You should be able to space it out with any rim if it's hitting the frame. More spacer is needed

Okay, ill see if I can get my hands on something. I think if I use a set of T-Type rims with the 1/4" Spacer I have, it will work. That puts me at about a 3.5" backspace including the spacer. Ill give it a try. If I break an axle, I break an axle. Its not a really big deal, unless you think its going to ruin the diff. I can always trailer the car there and back with one of those U-Hauls flat-beds.

Zack

Hell I broke a stock axle just pulling a boat load of 1.70 60 foots then 1 1.65 60 ft then snap.

Your track may also tell you that all 4 of your wheels need metal valve stems and each stud must stick out past about half n inch past in threads from the end of the lug nut, and a driveshaft loop.

Last time they barely checked the car. They just asked if I had a helmet, had me strap it on, and shake my head a few times.. Then again, I wasn't planning on launching hard on street tires. Told the guy I was hoping to run in the 13's and I was gtg.

Zack

When you're ready to go up let me know. I'ld like to check out your car.

I agree with you guys anyone can break a axle at any time especially if your constantly down in the 1.5 range or lower. But I have cut many '60's in the 1.58-1.70 range on MT slicks 28X10's and 28X9's over the past 10 years and still running stock axles. Maybe I'm living on borrowed time who knows but it won't scare me from doing it again.