Help with installing temp gauge

black_magic87

Buddah
Hello everyone, What is the best way to install Auto Meter's electric water temp gauge, also i would like to keep the idiot light on my digital dash.

Thanks for responces in advance

Robert

hey, I'm doing the same thing! Here's what I got to T the factory temp sender with the autometer one.
Aeroquip part # FCM2152 (summitracing part AER-FCM2152)- 3/8" Female pipe Tee
Aeroquip part # FCM2134 (summitracing part AER-FCM2134)- 3/8" Male pipe nipple (haha, nipple) :D
I bought both at a local speed shop and paid $33 summit lists them as $10.39 and $16.69 though shipping will eat the difference.

The Female tee accepts both senders and the male pipe nipple is used to connect the female tee to the block. This is because the female tee has female threads on all three ends. I ended up installing the T like this :

|
|__|__
|
|

First vertical line is the block and then the T fitting into it. I've got the factory sender pointing up and the Autometer one straight out pointing at the front of the car.

The other way would be like this though the senders stick out too far I think to do it this way.

|
|
|--|
|
|

I did need take off the upper hose to get some clearance.

Also, don't forget the teflon paste on all the threads

The temp sender needs to be in an area where there is water flow across the sensor. Installing in a tee like a pressure guage will give low readings. The only other good place to mount the sensor is to remove the block drain plug on the drivers side and replace it with the sensor. It is accessed from under the car and all the coolant will drain when you pull the plug. It's a PITA to do but it does give fairly accurate readings. HTH

GREAT!!!!!

Hey guys thanks for the posts that was what i was hoping for. I knew I that I could have both and it wasn't a choice of one or the other. I will be doing this tomorrow ( if it doesn't rain ALL day like today, damn Florida weather ).

Thanks a bunch

Robert

Originally posted by J. C. Plemons
The temp sender needs to be in an area where there is water flow across the sensor. Installing in a tee like a pressure guage will give low readings. The only other good place to mount the sensor is to remove the block drain plug on the drivers side and replace it with the sensor. It is accessed from under the car and all the coolant will drain when you pull the plug. It's a PITA to do but it does give fairly accurate readings. HTH

Forgive me for resurrecting this one after 4 months, but I have a question about this.

Since I have the engine out of the car, getting at the drain plug is easy. But, the fitting looks really small. What size sensor comes with the Autometer gauge (Ultralite mechanical)?

Thanks,
Jim

The mechanical gauge has a bulb on it with a compression nut and larger NPT adapters to use. 1/4" and 3/8" I believe are included.

I T'd mine up top with the idiot light. It take a long time to get a reading in winter, no biggy I compare with scanmaster anyway.

In the summer with heat soak they read identical with the T fittings.

1/8" NPT was posted before I think for the side of the block so I would not think that would be the spot for a mechanical gauge fitting. You'd need a big a$$ adaptor and prolly not get much flow at the bulb end.

Just my .02.