Help with my 84 hot air GN

I tried the paperclip trick and the "Service Engine Soon" light just keeps flashing. Same Symptoms. Love the car but its just wearing my out. I also recently changed the 02 sensor and found a couple minor vac leaks.

Tried a new temp sensor, Same symptoms , Must be the Module . I need an 84-85 module or 86-87 module , adaptor harness and adaptor plate, Let me know if anyone has one for sale for me for a decent price thanks guys

Tried a new temp sensor, Same symptoms , ........
Please describe the symptoms in detail.
If the car shuts off, and you spray the coilpack with a light mist of some water (to cool it down), does it still shut off?
Whnen it shuts off, are you missing spark (?) and wjhat is the fuel pressure?

Runs good when cool, I drive around like I would normal, works well with alot of power, boost is ok, It seems like only when it gets hot, at a stop sign or at lights it starts to stumble and stall out. I pull over and pop the hood for 5 mins and it fires back up and its good for a bit until it gets hot again. The car has a tonne of new parts new tank, pump, lines, fuel filter, plugs, wires, o2 sensor , temp sensor and new battery. All electrical work perfectly and all fuses are good

Runs good when cool, I drive around like I would normal, It seems like only when it gets hot, at a stop sign or at lights it starts to stumble and stall out. I pull over and pop the hood for 5 mins and it fires back up and its good for a bit until it gets hot again. The car has a tonne of new parts
Any codes?
Location?

I tried the paperclip trick and the ses light just keeps flashing, doesnt give the 1-1-2, 1-1-2, 1-1-2 that it should. Just keeps flashing

I tried the paperclip trick and the ses light just keeps flashing, doesnt give the 1-1-2, 1-1-2, 1-1-2 that it should. Just keeps flashing
What is the resistance on the coil?
What new electronic parts are on it?

resistance in the coil????? Im not sure what the question is
Last year the previous owner replaced the coil pack, module plugs wires and ecm

resistance in the coil????? Im not sure what the question is
Last year the previous owner replaced the coil pack, module plugs wires and ecm
Put an VOM accross the towers of the coil. Should read 11-13K ohm. Also try it on a hot coil.
I have seen the same issue with a defective ignition module, a crank sensor, temp sensor . . .
May want to post your location. Someone in the area may have a part you can borrow and swap out . . . .

I had the module tested already and it failed, Someone else had told me if the module was shot that it wouldnt run at all so I ruled it out for a while. but now Im gonna try a new one. If these things get hot does it change the way they function? Are they not made to withstand the heat? I live in canada, Not too many of these cars around.

I had the module tested already and it failed, Someone else had told me if the module was shot that it wouldnt run at all so I ruled it out for a while. but now Im gonna try a new one. If these things get hot does it change the way they function? Are they not made to withstand the heat? I live in canada, Not too many of these cars around.
If the module was tested and it failed, I would replace it. Sorry, did not realize you tested it.
They are able to withstand the heat pretty well . . . . when new . . . . :eek:

sorry aswell, Didnt mean to pull the wool over your eyes, would u recommend a new module or a used one? Also would u recommend updating to a 86-87 module and coil with an adapter plug and adapter plate? Or should I just stick with the 84-85 module?

No problem. . I was just trying to see if it would be something less expensive instead of throwing $$ at the car.

At this point I would get the module adapter with the 86-87 module/coil, or a Type II set-up.
See sticky for more info. Be sure to get a GM module and NOT one from the local parts store. www.nos4gn.com

Since you are remote I also recommend a scantool.
I used the OTC4000 scanner for years and still use it on local cars w/o scantools.
Scanmaster or PL are preferred but require 86/87 ECM conversion. Keep us posted.

thanks for the helpful info, have a great day an I appreciate u taking the time to reply to my posts buddy have a good fathers day

thanks for the helpful info, have a great day an I appreciate u taking the time to reply to my posts buddy have a good fathers day
NP . . . . forgot to mention . . .

You will need the aluminum adapter plate as well for the ignition module upgrade/swap.
Get that at www.casperselectronics.com. You can get the complete set-up "coil/ignition module/screws/gasket/adapter plate/jumper wires" from them.
Ask for John Spina (Member on this board).