Help with the mileage of a GN

jkirch26

Can somebody give me some things that I should look for to tell the difference between a 40k mile GN to a 140k mile GN? I'm on the fence about this car I'm looking at. The carfax was pretty much no help. I'm kinda looking for things that would be hard to cover up or fake, something that would defenitely show its age. Any help would be appreciated.

Its become difficult not just because of the miles but because its a 16 yr old car. For instance, Kirban's personal vehicle had over 130k on it and its interior was perfect. My car's interior was perfect when I got it at 39k and its still perfect at 60k.

But check the steering wheel for wear - the carpet especially around the driver's foot. The sag or lack there of in the front seats. The headliner's firmness along with the visors.

Look at the jack.

The paint may have swirls, etc, but at 40k you'd hope its not looking like the paint has been 'rubbed' off, you might see that later at 140k.

Find out if the valve springs are new - you might have a better chance of gauging the mileage by how the engine feels. Check the condition of the gas tank.

Best thing is to see receipts. Normally someone with a 40k 16 year old car has taken care of it and should have most receipts.

The paint is ok except where there are chips like rocks hit it or something. Not really cracking or anything. The front doesn't have nearly as many chips as the sides of the car does, it looks like somebody was mowing next to it and threw rocks all over the doors on both sides. There is like 15 or so on each door. The headliner is starting to droop over the driver's head. The seats look like they are almost brand new, along with most of the interior. I really don't know if I could tell by driving it. It was pretty fast and shifted hard even when just cruising. I drive a 305 Camaro right now so I don't know how fast a good GN is supposed to feel.

i look at the pedals,the color of the plastic dash peices,they should have a very clean bright grey look to them.also under the hood,the latch should look new.and like it was stated before the gas tank should look respectable.

ditto on checking the pedals, especially the brake pedal. 40k miles, it should hardly have a mark; 140k the corner will be worn down some...

Another thing, check for hidden oily grime under the hood or under the car; even if the owner was meticulous, there'll be spots...

Another location that could be overlooked is the Shifter handle wear. If the leather looks flat & worn with no grooves that could be a tip off..

Look to see if the front window is badly pitted also.

Check to see if the doors are sagging. At 140k, it's likely that they'll start scraping the striker bolt.

I had my driver door hinges fixed many years ago but now, with 217k on my car, both doors are hanging low. :p

JUST FIGURE IT FOR 140,000. YOU DIDN'T MENTION THE ASKING PRICE. UNLESS THE CAR LOOKS BRAND NEW, 16 YEARS OLD OR NOT, IT DOESN'T HAVE 40,000 MILES ON IT. THE MORON WHO OWNS IT MAY EVEN BELIEVE IT HAS 40K ON IT. :rolleyes: SNAP OUT OF IT!!!! ;)