Help with Translator Plus!

camino70

I need some help with my translator plus. My car has been down for some time and it's back on the road, but running very badly! I am running a translator plus cfg 6.1 with an extender chip and a 3" MAF. When stabbed from a stop or roll, it craps out on me and I get a large retard spike, with a high 800 mv. When slowly leaning into it it is ok, no retard, but high mv. I have lowered the fuel pressure in small increments down to about 41, should I go further. I have triple checked the wiring and the dip switches and the knobs. I am trying to get it to be ok with all the knobs in the no change position then fine tune from there when different gas is added. As I write this I am thinking I should continue to lower the fuel pressure, but I wouldn't mind some reassurance.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas.

Ron

I swapped the MAF to a stocker and I still have the problem. I am going to try another coil pack and module and posted about a possible on the way out tranny trying to get tranny attention...

Any ideas are welcome, please.

Ron

What chip are you running???I ran into similar problems try switching the rotary knobs for wot.

My part number has a 5 after the letters which is for 98 octane.

which means the timing at wot is 23 in low gear and 21 in high.
So i used the rotary switch to retard the timing above 3200.

Look at the instructions and the part # .to see if it applies to you.

I have mine set to 4 degrees retard which on my chip would be 19 at wot above 3200 in low and and 17 in high.

I am running 94 octane and having almost no KR AT 17- 18 lbs boost.

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a shot. I haven't checked the chip number yet, but I will.

I have since pulled the translator + and LT1 MAF in favor of the stock setup with a 93 chip and I am getting the same bad running behavior.

I swapped the coil pack and ignition module and it is idling poorly now, so maybe I have two bad ignition modules. I will try to get my hands on a known good one from a friends car and then go from there.

Thanks again!

You need to set the fuel pressure to 45psi with the vacuum line off like the instruction say and then lean it out with the translator when you put it back on.

I understand thats what the instructions say, but I don't understand why I NEED to do it. What is the difference if I lean out the car physically with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator or if I do it with the trans +? Both should accomplish the same thing? Correct?

NO. it is NOT the same. Sine the computer is in control of the fuel the fuel presuure change will cause problems. You MUST leave the pressure at 45 and use the translator to tune. If you do not you will cotinue to have poor results. Since you switched to a different setup and still have the same problem this e,iminates the chip and translator. Reinstall it and monitor fuel pressure rise under boost, that could be the problem,
Mike

on the t ranslator there are 4 dipp switches, number one needs to be on and so does number 2, three and four off, if three is on you are setting a rev limiter and that is your problem, check the dip switches before you do anything else..