Help with window seal/adjustment

Justa6MB

I purchased new window and door seals and installed them after I painted the car. I had the doors off and installed new pins. The doors are aligned perfect with the body. My problem is with the windows. The car does not have t tops. There are 2 gaps. 1 is at the very front bottom, and the 2nd is at the rear top. The front of the window is tight to the A pillar, so I can't move the glass ahead. The top of the glass is tight to the roof seal so I can't really move the glass in at the top. And if I did adjust it out at the front bottom to seal the top rear - it would make the other gap worse. Am I explaining it enough? It's like I need to put something behind the seal at the top rear - B pillar to push it out farther to seal against the glass. I do have the book which explains how to move the glass but I'm not sure where to adjust. Any suggestions?

I had the same problems. The only way I got the B-pillar gap right was to put some butyl tape behind the WS and space it out. The front just needs some more adjustment.

I still have problems with the windows not wanting to roll up the correctly and water leaks. I just tore out the WS and will do it all again and possibly add the upgraded PW mechanism/motors.

I purchased new window and door seals and installed them after I painted the car. I had the doors off and installed new pins. The doors are aligned perfect with the body. My problem is with the windows. The car does not have t tops. There are 2 gaps. 1 is at the very front bottom, and the 2nd is at the rear top. The front of the window is tight to the A pillar, so I can't move the glass ahead. The top of the glass is tight to the roof seal so I can't really move the glass in at the top. And if I did adjust it out at the front bottom to seal the top rear - it would make the other gap worse. Am I explaining it enough? It's like I need to put something behind the seal at the top rear - B pillar to push it out farther to seal against the glass. I do have the book which explains how to move the glass but I'm not sure where to adjust. Any suggestions?

Curious, which company's weather seals are you using?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think I got the GM kit? It was a couple of years ago... I also realized that the super ws adhesive isn't holding, so I'll have to redo it while I'm at it.

Its a balancing act getting it just right. The angle has to match the A-pillar and roofline as close as you can get. When that's set if you have to move the glass up, it'll have to shift rearward to keep from hitting the A-pillar too soon (and vice versa)

Next is to make sure the glass curls in enough to roll up and engage the seals correctly while driving, but not so far you have to slam hell out of the door to get it to close.

With the harder non-GM seals, all that might not be possible.

Hmmm... Ok thanks. I played with it yesterday for a while and was able to improve the actual seal, but I'm still not totally happy with them. The trouble I'm finding is getting the rear top in far enough to seal and engage the seal properly. I'll have another go with that advice.

that's the trick. If you raise up the rear corner, it'll change the angle at the A-pillar. All the adjustments are a balancing act. Then if you're forced to settle, it's a decision based on which one whistles the least.

If your only having trouble with the top rear at this point, try adjusting the guide pin inwards. Just make sure its not putting too much pressure on the plastic guide when closed as they like to break. I just went through this with my car last week because mine never sealed right with me aftermarket roof rail seals. I put about 2 hours into each window with all the adjustments, replacing the felts, etc and now the windows actually seal and they are tight in the door. Its nice to not have them wobble being half open anymore.