HELP!!!!! Won't start

Lone_Domino

I rebuilt the engine and I am trying to get it to start...

Background: The engine was disassembled when I bought the car so I did not see how it came apart.

I have all the plugs connected where the belong I think. It turns over but kicks back as if the initial timing is wrong.

Everything I have read says the cam position sensor does not have anything to do with initial timing, I have tried it in both positions and it is clocked in the same location as it was when it was disassembled.

I checked the voltage at the ECM B5 and the voltage fluxuates like the chart says it should. It has fuel and spark but I cannot get the timing right.

HELP!!!!

I just rebuilt the engine in my 85 and had a problem with the cam sensor. Have you read any articles on positioning the cam sensor? Gnttype.org is a great place for info but the site is down right now. Did you install the cam yourself? Sounds like maybe the cam is off.

Oh yea, one more thing. Do you know if the coil pack was updated to an 87. If that is the case the firing order on the coil pack is changed. That sounds like it may also be the case because it is firing at the wrong time.

Update

Got it started!!!

Cam position sensor does make a difference....

Coil is still stock, the previous owner had it replaced at a dealership last year. Got the car running, it runs much better when there is gas in the tank and a new filter.....

It still has a miss to it. I will try to track that down but I drove it to work today!!!!

I'm having the same problem. Fresh rebuild, no SES codes, have spark on #s 1,3,5, test light pulsed on injectors 1 and 3 (didn't try 5 but the plug gets wet. However, my cam sensor has been tough to set. I have been able to get the voltage drop with a few degrees of 25 ATDC, but not dead on. Is it that critical? It really wants to light off, but just chugs once in a while and will backfire thru the throttlebody/kickback if gas is squirted while cranking. I'm exhausted at this point. Any thoughts?