You can type here any text you want

HEMCO vs. POWERPLATE

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1QWIK6

Torque wins
Hmmmm

I can't decide.

A MAJOR person (no name) at Hemco claims the POWER PLATE is just a restriction and the power plate testing results are just BS. (He wouldn't get specific) Hemco claims with their Upper and modifed lower, all cylinders can flow with 15% of each other.

Powerplate is cheaper, but I hace not seen any BACK-TO-BACK dyno testing.. WITH EGT.

Which is better?

Of course he's going to tell you it's a restriction...He's a salesman and is trying to sell you his product!!!

I don't have any experience yet with either one of them, but there have been numerous threads about the Power Plate already...Why start another one??? :confused:

Here we go again!!! :eek:

I went to the LoveRidge Machine website, but couldn't find any flow figures. They USED to be there. What happened to them

BTW: I was mistaken. Hemco claim with their upper and lower manifold inserts, they (runners) flow within 5% of each other:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I dont have a Hemco but I do have a power plate. I cant run any more boost than I could before but it does run smoother and idles better. FWIW
16lbs is about it

I see that they don't make a power plate for the Hemco but they do for all the other makes. To me this suggests that Hemco already flows so good they can't improve on it. I bought a Hemco when they were all the rage, kinda like the powerplates are now. I noticed the same benefits that the power plate users claim (increased boost, better idle, reduced knock, etc) Only differece is the Hemco cost $115 more. If I had to choose today I'd give the powerplate a shot and spend the extra $115 somewhere else on my car...

Originally posted by rastaz
I see that they don't make a power plate for the Hemco but they do for all the other makes. To me this suggests that Hemco already flows so good they can't improve on it. I bought a Hemco when they were all the rage, kinda like the powerplates are now. I noticed the same benefits that the power plate users claim (increased boost, better idle, reduced knock, etc) Only differece is the Hemco cost $115 more. If I had to choose today I'd give the powerplate a shot and spend the extra $115 somewhere else on my car...

They dont make a powerplate for the hemco because if you take a look underneith a hemco, it'd be impossible.

Originally posted by FJM568
Of course he's going to tell you it's a restriction...He's a salesman and is trying to sell you his product!!!

Could not agree more!

Here is info based upon real world experience.

Install a power plate on a NHRA stock motor on a dyno, NO other change, 25 ft-lbs increase in the torque band.

Install a Hemco on a low-11 sec. GN, drop .2ths in the quarter mile as well as MPH loss.

The power plate is a "no-brainer" for the $60!

Well, Nick, your reduction is more scientific than mine but my car is slower with the Hemco. It was one of my poorer investments in recent years.

We have installed three plates and all ran better. I know the eyeball engineers say it cannot work and now they will say your 25 ft lbs is not very much but for $70 on a fast car, that is pretty darned good.

Nick, Just curious if you dynoed the Hemco at the same time this power plate was dynoed? I would be more interested in these results if they were performed under the same conditions. I know from experience that dyno results can be quite different from track results due to variables that can't be replicated in both tests.

If the Hemco is really as bad as you guys say I will get rid of it in a heartbeat. For the $60 bucks it costs I'm going to try the PP and hopefully become a convert...

Originally posted by Steve Wood
You know that you have to use another plenum to go with a plate...no hemco plate.

Yup, thanks Steve. I still have my original upper plenum that Jay Jackson bellmouthed to 65mm so I'm going to use that one. The Hemco is going to go on the slow car...;)

I have been meaning to ask Jay if he could do that so I can keep my Accufab 65 mm tb....:)

I am convinced the Hemco was not worth it but I bought it when a bunch of people were claiming 2 tenths...later, the same guys no longer claimed it :D

Stock plenum with AD Power Plate-S

1 -5% 2 -2%

3 +5% 4 +4%

5 -5% 6 +2%

Flow Range; 10%

Hemco 70mm Plenum

1 -20% 2 -21%

3 +21% 4 -13%

5 -10% 6 +14%

Flow Range; 42%

you actually will flow more air through your stock manifold with a power plate than without it.

no BS.

Before the power plates the hemco was about the best thing we had out there. Now I actually feel bad for the hemco guys. (no kidding.)

Hi Steve,

I can open up your upper if you want... just drop me a line! BTW, my Power Plate (and aluminum crank pulley) are on their way to me as we speak, er... as we type! Thanks, Jace!

If the hemco plenum flows so much more uniform distribution to the cylinder than the stock plenum, then how come people are saying there cars slowed down with it?
That doesn't seem to make any logical sense, maybe you guys didn't re-tune your set up for the new plenum??

I never tested my GN before or after I got my Hemco, plus I added a few other mods during the plenum installation, this thread distrubs me also...just like rastaz said!!

Nick,
Do you have any ideas why your results suggested that the hemco decreased performance?? Could of been the tuning setup discrepencies between each of the tests?

yeah, we are probably a bunch of dummies...on the other hand, I believe Jason's flow distribution test. :)

Originally posted by GN-231
If the hemco plenum flows so much more uniform distribution to the cylinder than the stock plenum, then how come people are saying there cars slowed down with it?
That doesn't seem to make any logical sense, maybe you guys didn't re-tune your set up for the new plenum??

I never tested my GN before or after I got my Hemco, plus I added a few other mods during the plenum installation, this thread distrubs me also...just like rastaz said!!

Nick,
Do you have any ideas why your results suggested that the hemco decreased performance?? Could of been the tuning setup discrepencies between each of the tests?

All I can do is speculate but it is possible that the distribution was helped with the Hemco but the air velocity slowed slowed down, possibly due to turbulance above the ports or ?? and this is why people claim that they slowed down. The ports could of still had more equal distribution though.. Again, just speculating...

ks

I think I have this figured out. I use that empty time when I first wake up and I'm still there in bed to think about Buick projects.

Last year when I turned the "Biggie" over to Jason, I suggested a changable spacer plate to go under the plenum, but my idea was to use the plate to hold a tubing elbow with an interchangable end to direct the flow to the runners. It was to be like a Hemco you could tune for different combinations or for track conditions. And it would hide under a stock bonnet to be sneaky. Jason threw out the elbow idea and kept the plate and lucky for us all he also came up with a good way to measure the flow, not pressure, the flow to each port. Instead of interchagable ends, he came up with different plates for each style plenum. This is great work.

Lisa tells me I need professional help, but I swear I see this stuff in my head. What Jason has made is not a flow restrictor or director at all but a simple plenum divider. It creates a calm air space below the plate which allows each port to draw an even amount of air from the plenum.

Think of the inside of the plenum like the inside of a pick-up bed as you go down the road. The air comes in over the top in front, flows down and hits the back producing a high pressure area. It then has to make a full turn to the front where the fresh air coming over the top creates lift pulling it off the floor. High pressure back, low pressure front. Like a big circle. The faster you go, the faster the circle goes too.

Now Jason's plate stops the air from making that big circle inside the manifold. The air turmoil now occurs above the plate and basically calm air should exist under the plate. The plate does not direct, or restrict the flow to any port. It allows each port to draw the air it needs from the stable, calmer air under the plate. This could also explain why the plate seems to make improvements from idle to full throttle. When Jason says a stock manifold will flow more air with the plate than without it, I can see that.

My idea, like the Hemco, would have just moved the high pressure flow from the back of the plenum to the center. I think it could have been better than the Hemco, but not better than Jason's simple plate.

Now if you want to test this theory with pressure probes, you will need to place them in each port, not just above and below the plate, as some have suggested. And the test would be port against port, with the plate and without. If the picture in my head is correct, you will find pressure readings support Jason's flow readings.

You have to respect a guy who can make things work.

I respect guys that can look at something and figure out why it works rather than looking at it and saying it cannot. :)

Back