You can type here any text you want

Hey Cal! gotta question.. or anyone!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOVI2KRT

Here's the low down..

I have a truck.. a slow black one.. LOL

my R/T has a OE stock short block.. including that bumpy metal stick thingy in the middle.

Now.. I left the bump stick stock for a couple reasons.. one being that I THOUGHT it would be easier to learn to tune the fast for the truck being that I knew how it ran stock.. fair enough.

I think I am getting closer.. but I am still having occasional idle surge problems with it. Now the odd thing is that I had an easier time making this raunchy rowdy cam in a XX huffed mustang over here idle pretty well. This.. confuses me! LOL

I made his idle by adding quite a bit of timing at idle, but for my OE cam and setup that ran on the stock computer.. I wouldn't think that should be needed. Not sure if my new HUGE throttle body is causing the problem.. (just thought of that).. hmmm

anyway..

I have idle timing at about 15-16* right now.. I am pretty sure that I am fighting the IAC properties.. just seems like I outta be able to make the stock cam run like it did .. stock??? hehehe..

any pointers? Other than that.. I am fairly comfy with the drivability and race tuning.. crank/start.. thats a lil sketchy.. hehe.. still debugging some temp areas.. but thats minor.

should the MAP rate of change enrichment be used even though I am supercharged and the MAP reading never stays still? Would that help with the idle surge?? when it surges.. I will sprtiz a lil methanol into it and it INSTANTLY levels out and is happy.. maybe my truck is just an alcoholic.. quite possible actually.. LOL

anyway.. the trans may be working soon enough.. and might get to roll it off the trailer and try the track runs again. If so.. my next goal is to make it run like stock.. cept, with a touch over twice the power. LOL

You may have to fatten it up at idle to keep it from surging,May also try a little more timing.,Also go in to Idle functions and 0 out the whole table if the timing is fluctuating at idle

If you want send me a log and the gct in it now with the log of it idling.

will play with it some and check it out.. kinda embarassing to have my truck surgin' like an 800 lift dragster!!!! LOL

I need to get the trans behaving so that I can run it and load it again.

Will pull some logs on it and get some info for you as soon as I its up and working again.

Thanks Otto. I was gone all weekend tuning.

NOVI2KRT: You mentioned your transmission problems couple of times. Is there a transmission behind the engine? If not, then you probably need to go into idle parameters and tighten up the "D" and "P" gains if you want it to idle without it.

LOL..

yeah.. I have a trans behind it.. just not one that will let me drive around and get a good load on the engine to tune for drivability.

I have the P and D set pretty low as is.. seems to work better for the lack of cam than larger numbers..

I got it down to with the engine cold, it will start nice enough, catch after maybe one or two surges if any.. idle fine.. warm up.. all good..

when it's turned off.. and I restart.. depending on the temp it's at is what seems to determine the surge time.. and I think it's only doing it through the after start rev cycle.. it's like once it goes to the O2, and normal running fuel maps.. it clears up and is happy.

Now I think I will answer this myself.. but lemme bounce it off you..

while it's surgine I will hit the test button on the methanol just for a second and presto.. engine settles down, smooth.. and calm..

is this telling me I need more after start enrichement?? Or less rev cycle before it makes the transition to run??

sorry to bug you with this.. Wayne from APS outta be here Thrusday to get the damn trans working right, then it's off to the track on Saturday hopefully to test the setup with some more tuning and the new 3600rpm PI converter.. WOOHOO!!!! I am aiming for a mid 1.6 launch with 4300#'s of lead for a truck!!! LOL

Back