You can type here any text you want

Hey Postal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Little 1/8 mile fun tonite.. On pump gas off course.

Houston we're getting some fierce MPH.. still blowing 790's for O2's through the traps at 24 PSI. Yeah yeah.. I know get some slicks and a converter :D

I think with the rite 60 foot and a little more squeezing.. 6.9's at 103 are mine.

Anyone have an 1/8 horsepower converter handy?

Damn, boy! You're almost at 100mph.

Not too shabby for a street car :D

Man are you going to miss your car.

Would be slick to pickup 30 like yours did pulling 98 :eek:

Thats Supra land :D

In Michigan I did some 7.1's with hard launches but wasn't running right d/t fuel pump stuff. My mph's where like 95 or 96.

In U.S 41 my 1/8th mile times where 7.1's with decent launches. (low 1.6's) but I had my mph back with best of like 97.9 or some thing. I'm jinxed and cant do muliple things right on the same visit to the track.

I'll have to put it all together to do the 10's. I'll have to launch hard and mph better than I have ever done to get into the 10's. Your mph is getting really close. I figure 100 mph in the 1/8th is the magic key. You get your 100 in the 1/8 Razor and you'll go tens for sure if you get her to 60' in the 1.5's or so.

Keep knocking away at it, but get that sucker to launch!
Jason

Originally posted by Razor
Man are you going to miss your car.

Would be slick to pickup 30 like yours did pulling 98 :eek:

Thats Supra land :D
Sure, rub it in :(

You'll get there. A stall is all you need and you'd be 11.0 or better :)

Originally posted by TTA 1387
Sure, rub it in :(

You'll get there. A stall is all you need and you'd be 11.0 or better :)

Hey lets take that stall out of yours before ya sell it :D

Just kidding :D

I think 100 MPH is written all over it. Track tonite again.. wish me luck.. I'll do one of those typical Buick 3 second R/T's and put it to 15 PSI on the slicks see what it does. Hope I get kicked out :D

Your 1/8th mile mph points to a 4 second flat or quicker 2nd half. My quicker 2nd half times are 4.03 seconds. When you see a 6.XX 1/8th you should for sure be looking at a 10 second 1/4.
Now that your car is making more power for the same amount of boost do you think you'll still be able to hold the 15#'s? I will be on a new torque convertor, transmission, rear brakes, and turbo set up at the Nats. I hope I will be able to 60' good down there.

HTH: Jason

I think your rite, 7.3 with 98 = 11.25-11.33 at 120-122 comfortably.

A couple things I have noticed have changed. One is the amount of alky i'm blowing through the motor is huge. I mean huge. I'm going through a lot. And it doesnt seem to complain. The 98 run I looked at the guage it was at 24 PSI through the traps. Tho my MAF readings are getting rippling due to the amount of pressure i'm drilling into the motor. So a sensitive MAF like an LT1 may or may not be beneficial.. I need to do some research.

Basic formula take fuel out, add alcohol.. works. But becuase the pump is pressurizing the intake tract. its a wonderful thing :D

Last nite I could hold 15 PSI at the line before it blew the DR's. It was just too much pressure on a set of $hitty tires.:D

And I found my problem, its the tranny. See I always raced my car leaving in 2nd..shifting to 3rd. Well further research.. what happened is my tranny when I put it into 2nd gear... is in 2nd, not 1 st. So when I lock the converter at the line, the car was trying to build boost on a locked converter... at 2400 rpm's it was done. So last nite I was racing the car in Drive and letting it shift by itself at 4800 rpms. Shifts are beautiful.. I aint touching that tranny. It wasnt weather, or ??? its the tranny.

Solutions shift manually 1-2, 2-3.. or let it do its job. I may just mod the governor and up the shift point to 5300 since a cam is in there. I'll screw with that next month.

I tried 15 PSI in the rite air bag last nite no change. car ran a couple 7.3's then went to consistent low 7.5's with 1.85-1.90 60 foots. Made like 7 passes in 2 hours.

You going to run the 1/4 or the 1/8 tonight? I think if you shift her at 5200 or so instead of 4800 that you may pick up about 2 mph. Either way it looks like your going to wind up with a 10 second time slip before me. Maybe there will be a couple more TTA's in the 10's this year.

Jason

Here a calculator I use:
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/hp_mph_eight_mi.php

The most I've gone is 102.12mph in the 1/8 but my car always seemed to fall off on the big end when it mph good in the 1/8th(only managed 124.34mph on that run). My best 1/4 mph of 125.80 was with a 100.28mph 1/8th.

Anyway this calculator says at 3550lbs it took 513.4 RWHP to go 102.12mph, which isnt bad considering the probrobly 25%+ loss I was seeing through the TH400 and 3.08 gears(not to mention the 11.5% converter slip I was getting).

I dont know how much you or your car weighs but one of my old TTA's, a t-top/leather car that I raced alot, was around 3625 with me in it(250lbs), about 50lbs of tools in it, and 1/2 tank of gas so based on that weight and 98.42mph puts you at 469.3 RWHP.

Nice times BTW, I've never gotten a 10 second slip without a 6.xx 1/8 mile so your getting there.I've run many 7.00 1/8 miles and they were always 11.00 runs, then again with the 2004R and a lockup converter you should pick up more mph, and therefore run quicker than me from the 1/8 on.

Steve

hey Steve, great post. It would be faster if I was using water for injection :rolleyes: hehe

I had weighed my car at my track some time ago and it was 3550 without me, and 3800 with me in it. Some list the weight on their cars at 3600.. others 3400. I'll get it re-weighed. Funny how scales can vary 200 lbs?

I thought the GN was lighter at 3400 lbs.

The spread between 1/8th and 1/4 mph's get tighter the harder you launch your car and the harder you run the 1/8th mile. I can add 28 to 30 mph the second half even with a n/l convertor. I can only do this if I ran the 1/8th mile on the soft side. If I ran the 1/8th hard then I can only get about 22 to 23 on the big end.
I think you have to break up what your looking at. We try to look at two completely different things and lump them together. We're dealing with time and speed. A car may run 2 mph faster in the 1/8th and 1 mph slower in the 1/4. Lets say the car also ran 3 tenths of a second quicker. Do you think the quicker car if given that extra 3 tenths to finish accelerating that it would have gotten the 1 mph it was short? No doubt in my mind that it would have. In fact it should be able to come close to picking up the extra 2mph it had at the 1/8th.
I think for drag racing your car should be set up and tuned for ET. I think if you strictly tune for mph you may be causing of over looking other problems.

Jason

True, but there are different dynamics involved. Alcohol being a big factor. And there are very few cars that I know off running these numbers on alky. In the case of my car its a little soft out of the hole and the first 330 for the drag radials, then it wakes up. Compared to a car running a 27 degree race chip on slicks. So an alky car typically pulls really hard past the 1/8 mile. Thats when the majic happens. And a lot of factors.

Here's some trivia. You should see my MAF readings from those runs last nite. The graph on DS looked like a jigsaw metal cutting blade due to the pressure being put into the up-pipe. Little fine ripples not flat. With an LT1 sensor, they get pretty aggressive.

I may be going on a limb here, but it may turnout that an extender setup may not be effective running as much spray as I do. I kinda like the fuel locked in with the BLM's and let the alcohol do its work.

And like you, I get to the track late, then theres an urgency to get and run the car without a proper cool down. Which leads to no tuning on my part last nite. Just run the car as is and start getting a feel for how it responds. I'm in no hurry to tighten down the screws on it. I need to make an appointment with myself to get to the track at 5 pm before it opens, take my time, and play my own game.

Yeah go with straight water and you'll really be flying lol ;) :rolleyes:

As for the weight, that was the only one of my TTA's I've ever weighed. I will say that when at Bristol in 2000 of the 4 TTA's there I was the lightest, though the difference from mine to the heaviest was only around 60lbs if I remember correctly.

On another note, I'm so jelous of you guys running around and racing while I'm buried under snow :( I'm gonna spend the weekend digging the car out to do the reags gears but hopefully I'll have some new times begining of April :D

Julio, are you not able to run more than 24 psi without knock ?

Daniel

Originally posted by Swede2
Julio, are you not able to run more than 24 psi without knock ?

Daniel

Daniel based on information, I make 600 crankshaft HP already on a conservative tune using 93 octane. What is the limit of the stock block un girdled and un steel capped? See I believe its like 650, which is why i'm kinda happy where its at.

Before heads and cam I was running 30 PSI and no KR, but was trapping 93-94 in the 1/8 leaning it out. Now after heads and cam, its picked up 7-8 mph easily on the same tune same HP. Funny thing my waste gate rod where its at, before would run 30 PSI, now its at 24 PSI. Your cars in Sweden trap speeds only us here in the US can dream off.. Like Uffe 121 on stock injectors, Andreas went like 96.. even your car went like 116 with virtually nothing. Dont know if its the air there or something. So 98 here on the US is movin in my opinion for a street car. Even Mike S ran 11.21 only had 96 in the 1/8. Using Race Gas and a Race Chip.

So according to the PTE chart my turbo(51) is good for 585 HP, i've exceeded that. My fuelpump has also been exceeded, my transmission has been exceeded, my injectors(50's) have been exceeded.. how bout that stock IC.. do I need to go to 30 PSI? Not unless I want to bring a shovel to the track to pick parts up. :D

So will it run 30 PSI without KR on pump gas with the current mods.. I will never know ;) ..

call me chicken :D.. I dont need to go 10.50's on a stock block to prove a point. I have already proved the stuff works in my own mind. I would squeeze it if I had a built bottom end.

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by Razor

call me chicken :D.. I dont need to go 10.50's on a stock block to prove a point. I have already proved the stuff works in my own mind. I would squeeze it if I had a built bottom end.

Cheers ;)
Chicken :D

Yeah, didnt think of it that way, that you are on the limit for the stock things... I guess the rear end is at its limit too ?

Well, I have also noticed the trap speeds are higher here.

My best ET...

8.39 / 90.80 mph
12.87 / 110.54
60 was 2.137

Best MPH
1/8 92.00
1/4 112.77
Both in same run, 60 was 2.446 lol, times was 8.783/13.279
My best 60 time ever is 2.108

All this runs was made with: Trasher 108, Cat pipe, VP Race fuel (like 108 octan), 20.5 psi, worn out BFG DR, 2000 rpm start (0 psi everytime, can not build boost) 8 KN-filter. Locked converter on both highest mph and best time runs. Oh and ofcourse I had a AFPR and adj.wastegate. Else... everything stock. At that time I got no scanning tool, except caspers knock gauge. A scanmaster is on the way. And Julios alky :)

Daniel

Lol, I hope you know the difference between Swiss and Swede... Many americans take wrong on thoose two...

Daniel

Back