You can type here any text you want

Hi There

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eldervampire

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for sometime now and decided to register today.
My name is Michael and I live in Chicago. I drove my first GN in 1991, and have been hooked ever since. I owned a 1970 Plymouth Cuda, 383 magnum, and was tearing up the neighborhood after rebuilding the carb, when a guy in a "Regal" pulled up and asked about my car. I was young and after all it was just a black Buick, so I was boasting about my muscle car and dared him to race me. He was real nice and said that instead, why don't I hop in and take a ride. I think he needed to clean his seats after we came back, because I needed to change my drawers. A few days later, he came back and found me under the hood again and helped me figure out a wiring problem I had, then asked if I would like to take the Buick for a drive with him. I was impressed by the "feel" the car had. Then he popped the hood, it was missing 2 cylinders. I was 19 years old and learned more in one day than in the year and half it took me to build that Cuda.

I don't own a GN yet, I have been lost in the other 80's car that has as unique an appeal, Fieros.

I am currently trying to wangle some deals to buy / sell a few cars to get up some scratch to buy a GN. And I know from past experience that forums are the best place to get involved and find a good price. I also have watched you guy interact and help oneanother. So if noone minds, I'd like to ask for some advice.

I have currently a 1985 Fiero GT. And will have a 1989 Ford T-Bird with the SC engine. After they are sold I'm looking at perhaps $6,000 in my pocket.

Would this be enough to snag me a decent GN? I don't expect to get a show car at that price, nor would I want one. I have no problem wrenching on a car but, I need as reliable and rust free a car, as it will need to be a daily driver. Appearance isn't a factor, it just needs to be complete. Year and milage isn't very important to me either, any one of them from 82 and up will
do just fine. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Michael

$6000 might find you one with higher mileage if somebody is in a pinch to sell it. If you want one without a lot of rust and fairly reliable you might want to start thinking in the $10k range.

Don't forget the GNs generally sell for more money, if you're on a budget you might want to consider a T-Type.

Also any GN is nice but if you really want to have some fun with it, stick to the intercooled cars 86-87.

I was looking for a car last year, I would say you want to save up a little more and start looking at T Types. Same drive train less money. Stick with the 86-87's (intercooled) or you might find a non-intercooled car that was converted for example, I saw a very beautiful white 84 T Type that had an 87 motor in it for a very reasonable price, keep an eye out for stuff like that also.

I haven't been looking since last year but 8-9k seemed to be the point of nice vs questionable. You can find some real nice T Types for 12-14k no rust, nice mods, etc. You can find very nice rust free cars in the Midwest if you take your time and look.

The good and bad about these cars is that they are quick and people love to drive them, some don't take care of them as well as they should, so be careful. On the other hand you will find some guys (like the guy who I bought my car from) who love their vehicle and take great care so try to look at the owner as much as the car. Hope this helps.

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks fr the welcome and the advice. I think that I may need to rethink what I am going to have as far as cash is concerned, I didn't make the connection with the T-Bird and the Super coupe being the same car. ( I really don't know much about fords) This is, or so I've been told, one of the more desirable T-Birds. I may be abe to get more than the $4,000 I was thinking of asking. But I really don't want to fleece anyone either.

Shortshot: The T-Bird isn't even in my hands yet. It was my late brother-in-law's car. It's been in a garage for about 6 years. The car starts,runs &drives just fine. I don't remember the milage but I know its fairly low. It's black with light grey leather interior. It has every power option including a power moonroof if i remember correctly. She just wants me to get the thing out of the garage. I also have a master mechanich's toolbox full of tools that I will most likely be selling as well. They are craftsman or snap-on I can't remember which. We're talking a HUGE roller full of everything you need. I have a small set that I use and don't have the space to keep them.

Anyway guys, thanks for the help.
Mike

Back