Hiccup/stutter problem- ideas?

Evans Ward

Love those LC2/ Y56 cars!
Hiccup/stutter problem.... no, not for me but for my TR. Has slight hesitation intermittently at normal driving conditions where it seems to miss or skip for a second then runs fine. I thought initially it may be a plug wire or wires and it could be (new ones on order), but a quick visual inspection shows good firm connections at plugs and Type II coil pack. Any of you have any ideas where I should start looking? No particular problems at idle. I have SM in the car and also have TL for diagnostics. Not really sure where I might need to begin?? Thanks.

Watch your MAF readings closely. If your MAF sensor is going out, you're likely to see some odd numbers tossed in the mix as you drive.

The readings should rise as you accelerate and remain fairly steady at constant throttle.

Thanks Greg! Possibility of the MAF going bad was my first thought and inclination- hope that's not the case as I don't have a spare one and car is daily driven. I've heard to stay away from the replacement rebuilt MAFs through the generic auto parts houses due to major quality issues. Might be time to try and purchase an original used MAF sensor- anybody have one at a reasonable price? I'll do as you suggested and monitor closely #'s on MAF thru SM. Thanks for the help. :)

I'm still chasing this problem on my car. Check your grounds and also check for vacuum leaks. Good luck and let us know when you find it.

Try Advance Auto for one of their Cardone Remanufactured units. I picked one up last December for $75 and it comes with a 1 year replacement warranty! Mine is well calibrated (Same numbers as a stock unit) and I figure that if it quits, I'll be getting a translator.

Update: unplugged the orange ECM lead and reconnected and gave the 'ol MAF a tap or two before rechecking again. Monitored AF on SM on return drive. No stutters or engine hiccups noted and #s for AF looked good with no irractic jumping. AF is 7 at idle and climbs tightly grouped through normal driving. Didn't check it a WOT. Will keep a close check on AF readings.

Black Demon/Mike: thanks for the info on the Cardone unit. I might enter into a dilemma where I will need to decide to either go that route or purchase and find a used original working one? Translator would also be an option.

Mike: You also need to update your sig as Mease DP is now on your car! :D Remember? Ball Peen Hammer and Dremel mods? :cool:

Problem getting worse

Guys,

This problem is starting to get worse and I need some advice before I start throwing parts on it. I haven't changed the fuel filter in about a year so I'll start there. Miss is now more prominant and car runs like s*** when floored! Big time misses and hesitation. Does this all sound like a bad MAF?? The tap test on the MAF didn't help. #'s are not erratic on SM2 for AF. Anybody have any other thoughts or suggestions? I don't want the car to strand me as it is a daily driver. :( Any and all help is greatly appreciated.