You can type here any text you want

High boost vs. Low Boost Wastegates

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

How many of you can manage 25 psi on the low boost wastegates? How important is the HD wastegate? It's time to go up to 25 psi. My buddy got his converter installed and his G8's a 12.0 car now lol.

its somewhat car dependent. turbo, backpressure, etc.

what tends to happen is that the backpressure in the turbine housing starts pushing the wastegate open and limits how high you can get the boost to go.

you can always add external springs to make a low pressure actuator work like a high pressure one.

time to experiment..

Bob

I have the std. Waste gate rod screw out to 1/8 from hooking it on, still have 26# of boost. Doesn't matter what I do. Have a TA-49 tweaked by Bison, RJC FM. Three inch down pipe, exhaust elbow ported to death. Stock heads and cam. I don't mess with it anymore because I have no knock. Would like to have it lower. 26 is more then I want for the street. Wish you luck, as I have had none.

I have the std. Waste gate rod screw out to 1/8 from hooking it on, still have 26# of boost. Doesn't matter what I do. Have a TA-49 tweaked by Bison, RJC FM. Three inch down pipe, exhaust elbow ported to death. Stock heads and cam. I don't mess with it anymore because I have no knock. Would like to have it lower. 26 is more then I want for the street. Wish you luck, as I have had none.

did you try to connect the gate tuner style ,
and 1/8 as in you only need to move rod 1/8" to hook the puck ?
you didnt say what 3" pipe ..is the puck arm sticking

if it wont go down tuner style with 1/8 pull to rod ...time for a new wastegate gate

I tried both w/my te-60 and found the higher 12# was too difficult to control, it would jump to 30# as soon as the boost would overcome the spring. The 7# was rapid but controllable w/the pedal. It wasn't all or nothing.

if it wont go down tuner style with 1/8 pull to rod ...time for a new wastegate gate

Thanks Paul. I will try a new wastegate when I get back home. im stuck out here in Wyoming. And yes I did try tuner style and no change. Thanks again, Ray

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "tuner style".. I'm having same problem with trying to keep my boost at 23-25lbs on the street. No matter what I do, if I get in it I start getting close to 30lbs and have to let out.

tuner style is run a hose direct from turbo compressor port to the gate port
on internal gate you should set rod so it takes 1/8" to slide onto the puck arm so that the puck is seated
that should result in boost at or just above the spring pressure of the gate
if running tuner and the boost is not near the spring psi or if it creeps then you arent bypassing enough air
the port hole in exhaust housing needs to be increased closer to the puck , if that doesnt work then the puck and the port needs to be up sized , and if that still doesnt work you should switch to an external gate setup

on an external gate running tuner means running a hose from turbo compressor port to the bottom of the gate , leave top port open .. same as internal gate it should run close to the spring pressure
if the gate you have is too small or the port to the pipe to gate is too small same applies as with internal ..up size until you can control the boost to your desired range either
external gates off the turbo (like the atr/gn1perf style) will be more restrictive than a gate plumbed off the header

once your wastegate setup can control the boost then you can proceed to use a manual boost controller like a grainger /rjc ( cracking valve) or bleeder , or a regulator or run an electronic type of boost controller that runs as a bleeder (single port) or regulator (dual port) using solenoid(s) to raise it to desired level

its somewhat car dependent. turbo, backpressure, etc.

what tends to happen is that the backpressure in the turbine housing starts pushing the wastegate open and limits how high you can get the boost to go.

you can always add external springs to make a low pressure actuator work like a high pressure one.

time to experiment..

Bob

But fighting with this thing to get it on the puck isn't bad for it is it?

Back