High EGT question.

BLACK6PACK

1 sec reaction King
I have whats in my sig plus the SMC alky kit. I am just starting to dial this combo in. I went out and made a couple of short blasts to about 70 mph. I have the Max Effort also. With the setting on 4 (fairly rich/low timing) and boost at around 21 psi ( had to turn it down due to knock) I was getting super high egt temps. Thats the reason for the short blast. I've got the dual nozzles on the smc, had the pump speed at max and turn on around 12. I was seeing EGTs as high as mid 1700s. O2s were low 800s and 0 knock. If I turned the boost up any higher I would get knock. With the single nozzle setup, I was running a RA 100 chip at 23-24 lbs of boost. Whats up with the high EGT?

Also, does alky go bad like gas does?

Actually, I was thinking about it.

I have the single nozzle set up and was running about 22# with my ME which has more timing in it, I suspect on about pos 7 (alky controller). After letting the car set about two weeks, and adding some rimi25 to the bottle (because I am running about 60/40 alky water), suddenly I am a full flow on the alky and running only 21 degs.

I was just thinking about going and moving cars and trying it out again with my egt plugged in. Cops have gotten really bad around here since they dropped the limit to 55 and it is hard to find an open stretch without cops and traffic.

I may have put too much rmi 25 in..I was day dreaming and put about three times as much as I meant to. :)

Wonder if our filters are plugging up?

Plugged filter...
Thats what it seems like, but I just installed the 2 nozzle setup. I had sent the bottle to Steve to have it redone, because it wasn't pushing the amount of alky it was supposed to. I'm going to do some more testing today. I took it out yesterday, and on a couple of short blasts I didn't get the high egts, and it actually felt like I was drowning the motor (pulled hard until the alky came on). Maybe the blockage is gone. I'll post results.

I would try the 7 setting for the chip. Sounds like more fuel is in order.

Also always verify the pump will easily flood the motor and is spraying alky.

Don't ask me how I know about this. :rolleyes:

We know how you know about it! :D

If it is now bogging, it would seem like the alky is working correctly now.

I would run 60/40 and put as much in as you can...

I run on pos 1 and turn mid 11's it takes about 1/3 of my jug every pass. That's a lot.

If you are overrich it burns in the exhaust and drives the egt out of site.
If you did not have any knock that is what is probably happening.

I would advise to watch the kr sensor and throw the egt and 02 out the window. As far as I am concerned they are useless for pump gas and alcohol, as your readings indicate.

I lean the gas slows down (still without any knock) and go up till it goes the fastest.

Keep us posted,
Steve

As usual, it was the loose nut behind the wheel. Actually I can't take credit for this one. I primed the system in my driveway and found a leak. I was running two braided hoses since it would quite reach with one. One of the hoses was squirting out the top of the brass fittings. I did some tweaking and got it to reach with one hose. I went out and did some testing, and everything seems to be working in order.

Now its time for some tuning. EGTs never got above low 1500s, and I never got below 810s on the 02s even with the ME wheel on "2". Boost was at 25 lbs and I was starting to tickle the knock (.9). I did make 1 run to about 60 on a medium race setting, and it pulled pretty good, but I had turn the boost down a couple of pounds and it started to bog a little.

All the runs I just did were either a highway kick down or a 0-60.
There is no place down here to make a safe full run without driving for 1/2 an hour to get there.

Good news is that its running right, and I can start tuning!! :D

So, steve, we were both right. I wasn't getting the alky needed.

Thanks again Steve!!!

Glad you got it.......disregard my comments and do whatever works best for you, except I would run 60/40 tho...