You can type here any text you want

High-End audio opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbomark

I'm looking for opinions on high-end audio for my GN. I currently have a Kenwood/Alpine/JL Audio system and want to move up.

Opinions, please, but no flames.

I would think the top of the line models from those manufacturers would be considered high end. :)

I like my Kenwood too. I will probably get their high end model for the next car.

Just my .02.

well what are you going for? High end replacent spkrs and deck? Or a custom install with high end components? Going for ultimate SQ, or SPL?

like salvage said, the top model's of the companies you listed are really good (esp JL, W7 DROOOLL!!!!!!!!).

High-end components

1) Nakamichi
2) Mcintosh
3) Focal
4) Xtant

Just to name a few :) .

Thanks.....I guess I should have been more specific. The Kenwood CD/tuner head unit is fine, but I am looking for equipment that will push some serious (read that competition level) SPL's while still remaining clear and undistorted. Speaker-wise, I will probably move to Boston Acoustics, and was looking for amps that will fill the power requirements. This car is a daily driver, so I'm not going to put 6 15 inch subs in the trunk. I currently have 2 JL Audio 10W0's, and will probably go up to a pair of 12W0's so I can still use the trunk.

Thanks again.

for subs, the best 'SQL' (SPL with awesome SQ) is the JL W7. It has more displacement than any other driver on the market, is linear longer than any other, the only draw back is price. Its expensive! Other notable's are Adire's Brahma, Digital Design's 9500 series, Eclipse Titanium drivers, Image Dynamics IDMAX so on so forth.

For main spkrs, I would say look into Focal Utopia's, Dynaudio, MB Quart QSD series, JL XR series, along with many others.

for a video showing what the W7 is capable of go here:

http://www.weebeeonline.com/files/W7.mov

Be warned, this is some EXTREME Xmax, not liable for heart attacks and whatnot. ;)

I did my car with all Boston speakers. I dont really turn it up all the way when Iam in the car ( at least for not more than maybe one song). To me they seam to play at a pretty high db level and still sound clean. Only draw back to my Bostons is the tweeters are over bearing when cranked way up. I got the crossovers set at -2db for the tweets and think Iam going to change that to -4db. I also run a pair of Boston 12.5 pro subs and its to much bass for me. They are nice for when you want to show off your system though.
I'm not really a stereo expert but I can say that I'm pleased with my set up. My goal was to have a stereo that would sound good from 2 blocks away and not just here a pair of subs comming down the road.
hth: Jason

Well depending on what your wanting to do, i would reccomend anything from MOREL that is for car audio.I have the MT3? tweets in my GN, and they are the best i have had as of yet. Vifa makes several car audio midbass drivers that sound excellent as well (compared to price point). My buddy is selling a full three way focal component set with an extra pair of tweets. If your interested email me and ill talk to him about price.

Are you planning on running an extra battery? 90% of the stereos that i hear sound like poo at high levels because they are current limited. Putting an optima battery in your trunk with your current amps may help right away. It certainly did in my gn.

As far as SPL, its all design man. I dont have any brand loyalty but ive seen some pretty cool stuff. I hit 140db in my s10 with an MTX 500d amp and stock charging system. The sub was a cheap audiobahn DVC sub.

Anyway... how much do you plan on spending and do you want to buy anything from me (employee of the soundgarden, macomb IL).

Best of luck man - Evan

Oh yeah, BTW the audiobahn aluminum cone sub is much cheaper than the eclipse, and usually costs less.

The funny thing about subs is that 99% of the subs out there are made by about 3 manufacturers.

Ive seen the JL w7, looks cool but dont know if i would classify it as a SQ sub?

Evan

PS.. I have extra morel and vifa stuff in my apartment if youd like to see pictures.

Back