high volume front cover issues

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I have had this new motor built for about 6 months and I have been chasing an oil leak forever. It turns out, my high volume front cover from Full Throttle isn't flat, and is pushing the gasket out under boost. Needless to say, this kinda sucks. I am thinking of sending the front cover back, and just replacing with a stock front cover with a booster plate. Do I need to re-shim the roller cam for the stock front cover? I really don't wanna have to do all this work a second time...I just want this damn thing to be done. The car has been out of service since July of 06 and its killing me to not be at the track.

That's why I use only the GM covers. I also have had problems with the aftermarket high volume covers. Most of which have been poor machining tolerances.

You definitely need to reshim the roller cam if you replace the front cover - especially since you are doing it because it isn't flat so you already KNOW it will be a different distance from the block :). Unfortunately (since I'm putting in a roller cam that also shims off the front cover), to my mind anytime you touch the water pump or front cover bolts you really ought to reshim, sigh.

Even torquing differently the bolts or reusing the gasket after you check the clearance could be an issue so becareful.