Home made deep oil pan - 2004r

marosek84cutlas

Has anyone ever made there own deep oil pan for a 2004r? I'm thinking about trying to do so. I planned on cutting the absolute bottom off of an oil pan and cutting the sump part of the oil reserve off the other and welding the two together. Do you think this will work?

I know I could just buy a deep sump oil pan but I can't afford them. What do you guys think?

I've done it...
made a sump pickup to make it more effective.

never know how it worked as I rolled my truck with the new trans strapped int he back, and the responsible parties insurance now has possesion of it, and I have no $$ for anything.

How much deeper does the bottom feeder pan need to be? I guess I could buy a 700 filter and figure it out but it's more fun to ask.:p

Jake

Jackshoe, ouch! Was that the tranny you just got through building up? That sucks man, and your truck too... What happened? (talk about it in another post?)

marosek, I've heard others talk of doing the same thing, but never seen one, the pan shouldn't be hard but you need a sump to match it.

CK Performance

Originally posted by chris718
give it a try.

I want all to take note of what a good vendor CK is.Any other vendor would have tried to sell this guy a deep pan:cool:

Chris keep up the good work:)

Also you have a PM:)

Truck Wreck

Morkai,
Yes it was the one I built to go behind my 500 cube BBC.
BQ valve body,
PTS shift kit & PR kit
CK billet drum,
billet servo,
alto red throughout,
dual fed,
10 vane pump,
etc,
Rare core,

Insurance company is only saying they will pay for the pats I have reciepts for, not my labor, or core.
I will have a reciept for the core one way or another, bought it on an Ebay DEAL.
I would like to get it back and they just pay my labor, case, and overhaul kit cost.

My truck was a 1990 Silverado SWB.
I had painted it last fall, nice clean, excellent mechanical condition, high mileage truck I bought last fall that had been someones commuter.
350/5 speed.
I had painted it, replaced the headliner, some weatherstripping, and otherwise just been driving it.

I rolled it 3 weeks ago going to work.
Was about a block away from work, there are 3 major facilities in one area, a girl was pulling out of her plant, and didn't look my direction.
I saw her begin to pull out just as I came up on her.
I swerved slightly to miss her or not T-bone her anyway.
She actually ended up T-boning me.
Hit my truck sqaure on the passenger side.
She actually hit the rear of my right front tire, causing it to turn sharp right.
Truck went into a skid,
it must have fishtailed, and then it rolled over.
I ended up in the ditch upside down.
Cab roof was crushed to the seat and dash level, everywhere except the drivers side.
I unbuckled, and crawled out.

had a concussion, otherwise not hurt.

A WEEK after the accident, her insurance company was still giving me the runaround.
"We haven't accepted liability yet..."

O-KAY.

Hello Mr. Attorney...

Now they don't want to talk to my attorney but keep calling me..

I tell 'em
"Do you guys not understand?!, Call the fuqqin lawyer!"

We'll see how it turns out..?
Chris would you email me your weekend number so I can catch you tomorrow?
I will need some more parts when the dust settles from all this.

I HATE insurance companies.
We're forced to pay into it,
then when the **** hits the fan they do their best to NOT make it right.
Which IMO should be as close to back to the status before the accident...
A "hobbyist" shouldn't get fuqqed out of labor time on a trans due to the incdident liek what they are trying to do here.
I'm an ASE certified master auto tech with Advanced Repairt cert.
Also an Master Auto engine machinist.
I wish I coul dcharge them what my labor time is worth, as well as interest for jacking me around and attorneys fees.

Wreck

Man, that sucks, but from the sounds of it it's really good you came out of it ok. If you can get it back the case is probably the only damage, so like you said...case, kit and labor. Could be worse I guess. I hope you have the reciepts and maybe pics from the paint job.

I know you put a lot of time and effort into that thing...

oil pan

I have made 2 "deep" sump pans for mine. The first one I took the bottom 3" from a Ford 2.3L 4-cyl oil pan and welded it to the sump of the trans pan(worked OK, just ugly). The last one I made was completely fabricated, pan rails and all. Rails were outta 5/16" steel bar stock and the rest from 11 guage sheet metal. made it 5" deep all around from the top of the rail to the bottom of the pan. Its kinda heavy (relative to an aluminum pan) but gets the job done. I used an old gasket cut into ~8 pieces for the rail pattern. It helps to have a core trans case to bolt the pan to while welding. Mine looks similar to Bruces deep pan. HTH's -Chuck

As usual I'm missing something...

Why isn't it possible to just cut two pans so that they can be grafted together?

Cut the bottom out fairly low on one (only on the front/sump part) and another fairly high and slip them together. Might have to split the corners on one, but it seems like it could work.

Again, what am I missing??.

AG, your not missing anything. After paying $150 plus for the Art Carr unit which is nice - we have now made our own deep pans just as you indicate. two pans cut and welded together. actually didn't take much more time than the time spent cleaning up and making the art carr fit. I worry less about bottoming-out with my home made and they didn't cost anything. good luck.

Originally posted by A. G. Olphart
As usual I'm missing something...

Why isn't it possible to just cut two pans so that they can be grafted together?

Cut the bottom out fairly low on one (only on the front/sump part) and another fairly high and slip them together. Might have to split the corners on one, but it seems like it could work.

Again, what am I missing??.

Not missing much. I've done the extended pan thing, and it's not that hard. I cut off the sump on a 200 very close to the top of the pan. Then I cut another pans bottom just before the bends. Pressed the 2 together and mig welded the halves. Made for a very clean setup and a very deep pan. I took some notes from a trans company who modified a deep pickup using copper tubing and made my own pickup and, located it on the bottom rear. my Trans now takes 4 more qts.:cool:

Have fun:)