Hood emblem

Chatmanboy

Does anyone know where i can get some good emblem from that doesnt melt from the heat? Because the plastic ones are no good went through 3 of them already and its $40 for a set of two...

Are you talking about the 3.8SFI that go on the bump? Do you have atleast the stock turbo heat shield? You could make a bigger better one or Make a thermo liner under the hood, just above the turbo. Not sure if it will take a HA heat tho.

Turbo wrap is about 30-60$ Thermo Tec, that would help also.

yes and its only the one emblem that is over the turbo that melts. the other side is still perfect. No i dont have a hear sheild wish i did

I have a stock Sh$^y one but still works. They look very easy to make, one or two bends out of sheet metal, then drill and screw in place. The stock sheilds were small not that good IMO. The aftermarket units I've seen are much bigger,better made. I would give it a shot If i were you and make one, or post in the wanted section, sure a few have some laying around.

I think TRcustoms(buickGN.com) makes Hotair heatshelds,not sure.

no paints fine just that plastic shribble up. I just got in contact with a guy who makes emblem i bought some camaro emblems from him a while back that were stainless steel and very nice. I just emailed him the emblem and he going to let me know if he can do it. hopefully so because i know im not the only one with this problem with the emblems. I see so many cars that leaves them off

I had the SAME problem on my 84' T Type, The emblems kept melting. What I did was bought a larger heat shield from Mark H, BuickGN.com. Its like twice the size of the stocker and plus I was able to get in ingraved with T-Type on it! Looks cool and solved my problem... No more melted embelms!

The heat sheild Mark H makes is awesome and will help with the issue you are having, I'd highly recommend this since his is even bigger then the stock one that came in our hood insulator from the factory.

Well, if they are no longer making and selling them, would someone that has one be willing to take some measurements, etc, in effort to help someone maybe fabricate their own? I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes if there were still a retail option, but this is an issue that will continue to plague these cars. I do recall seeing pics of the ones they used to sell, and thought they were OK looking, had always thought that I'd pick one up someday. . . .

They should be pretty easy to make, just get right thickness sheet metal, cut to desired size,make a few bends, few coats of hi temp enamel, easy bake oven it and install.

This is for IC guys or/and others, I have seen some cut up SS pots(cooking) and make them fit over the turbo. Talk about DIY :rolleyes:

Chatmanboy, Your paint is ok now but trust me with time and no shield, your paint will crack,fade in that area. If plastic emblems are melting above it, think of the paint. Underhood stock liner, we all know it doesnt last by inself. Out HA turbo heat will eat away at that in no time without a heatshield. Best bet is a Turbo wrap,homemade bigger, better Heat shield, thermo underliner.

The turbo wrap would work best IMO, since it does a few things, lowers engine bay temps, helps spool faster, Heat shield wrap around entire turbo. I don't think it looks nice but I plan to order one, what the hell.

Thermo tec turbo installation kit $36.99 Thermo-Tec 15003 - Thermo-Tec Turbo Insulating Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

the factory heat shield is only there to protect the weatherstripping at the back of the hood.
i made a bigger heat shield out of a piece of aluminum (it may or may not have been an old street sign that was laying around) that i fastened to the stock heat shield with a couple of self tapping trim screws. i made it big enough to go over not only the turbo., but also the up pipe as well. the hood actually stays cool to the touch.
i think i had about 10 minutes of fabrication time into that particular project.

This is what the heat shield looks like that they use to make.

Attachments

• bowling green 20052 068.jpg
    bowling green 20052 068.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 129