Hood Lock Stuck

GSGN

Got a thing for G cars!
I was all set to tuck the car away for the winter including hooking up the battery tender. When I pulled the hood release, it did not pop the trunk. Either the end that pulls the "hook" broke or disconnected and my hood is now shut with the battery slowly draining.

So what's the easiest way to release the hood from the underside? Looks like I can remove the air dams on the underside that holds up that "flap" of material between the intercooler and the grill and reach under.

Can anyone who has had the same issue offer any advise in what to yank on order to release the hood? Will I be able to reach the hook holding down the hood. I'll get to this over the weekend. Thanks

I was all set to tuck the car away for the winter including hooking up the battery tender. When I pulled the hood release, it did not pop the trunk. Either the end that pulls the "hook" broke or disconnected and my hood is now shut with the battery slowly draining.

So what's the easiest way to release the hood from the underside? Looks like I can remove the air dams on the underside that holds up that "flap" of material between the intercooler and the grill and reach under.

Can anyone who has had the same issue offer any advise in what to yank on order to release the hood? Will I be able to reach the hook holding down the hood. I'll get to this over the weekend. Thanks

I had that happen before. Just take a 10mm socket (I think thats the size) and a long extension, maybe swivel too, and climb under the front of the car. You can unbolt the latch from there. I think there is 2 bolts to take loose. It's not fun, but I think that's the only way to open the hood.

this happens all the time to me..i have to give it the "Fonz" treatment to get it to pop up...try gently hitting the hood on either side of the latch to see if it pops

I remember what I did now. You have to take the grill out then you can access the bolts for the latch from the front of the car.

Try using the Trunk release button in the glove box or the in the trunk lock:biggrin:

For the time being, you can use a a cigarette adapter and connect the battery charge to it. Then plug it into the car's lighter. This will charge the battery.
Getting the hood up is another story.

Gary

Try using the Trunk release button in the glove box or the in the trunk lock:biggrin:

My mistake, should have said "did not pop the HOOD". Unfortunately, there is no buttom in the glove box to release the hood.

I remember what I did now. You have to take the grill out then you can access the bolts for the latch from the front of the car.

Sounds like a real pain! Will how to remove the grill be obvious as I start poking around? Guess I dreaming for an easier way.

after you pull the handle, push it back in. If that won't do it you need to push down on the front of the hood. After it opens use some wd40 on the latch and the cable.

this happens all the time to me..i have to give it the "Fonz" treatment to get it to pop up...try gently hitting the hood on either side of the latch to see if it pops

after you pull the handle, push it back in. If that won't do it you need to push down on the front of the hood. After it opens use some wd40 on the latch and the cable.

Bow to the MASTERS. Pressed the hood down right at the tip and BINGO it popped open. I think the "Fonz Push" is the right method. THANKS to all who responded.

Now get some lube on that latch assembly so you're not stuck with the same problem again next time. :biggrin:

Welcome!

Congratulations! I think this happens all the time....BE CAREFUL NOT TO DENT THE HOOD when you use downward pressure on the front edge, (you do this while someone is pulling the release)! A little lubrication in the hood latch helped mine once I got it open. :)

Congratulations! I think this happens all the time....BE CAREFUL NOT TO DENT THE HOOD when you use downward pressure on the front edge, (you do this while someone is pulling the release)! A little lubrication in the hood latch helped mine once I got it open. :)

Being a GN owner since 87, I am well aware of that weak spot, which is why I went for a gentle "push" rather then a "hit". But you are quite right about the "tip" of the hood denting quite easiliy.