Horrible Gas Mileage

boosted231

With the cost of fuel these day's I figured I would see what kind of mileage I was getting. 12.7 mpg, ouch!!! Car runs great, stock block and heads, te44, 009's, tt 93 chip, thdp, atr exhaust, new vacuum lines and no exhaust leaks, walboro fuel pump hotwired, afpr set at 43# line off, blm's running at 128, new plug wires, new coil pack and module, translator with ls1 maf sensor, rjc boost controller, dutt neck stock intercooler, I'm sure I missed a few things. Any ideas to increase mileage? I was thinking of taking a road trip this summer but I would like to resolve this mileage issue. Thanks

Try not pressing on the go pedal so hard! :D Also, if you drive the car 65 of the freeway instead of 75 your mileage should go up significantly. I think I get 20-22 at 75 and 26-27 at 65. That's about the only thing I can tell you other than making sure your tune is on. I like to accelerate so I've always gotten around 12-13 in the city. HTH James

do you take a lot of short trips in your car? that kills the mileage. the worst i ever got was driving to school and back because it was only 10 miles each direction, i got about 15mpg. with normal driving of 30-40 miles each trip i got around 18-21mpg. strictly highway driving on road trips i get 23-27mpg. these cars seem to be pretty sensative to this stuff.

of course now these numbers will be lower with my new t. converter:D and summer approaching!

what kinda converter do you have? have you changed the o2 sensor lately? do you use the trip to do mpg calculations or fuel gauge? hth

belive it or not its the 009s doing it to you i had deascent milage before the swap now its fallen and from talking to others its the 009 inj. eric has a good handle on them but the make the car run rich

For my mileage test I drove it to work a couple days, 32 miles round trip, a couple stop lights, crusin about 60mph. You think its my 009's? Wow, never heard they got that bad of mileage.

Well how do you drive? If you're never in the boost it should be averaging 17ish with a 50/50 mix of city/hwy... now the second you get into boost you double or even tripple your fuel consumption... to be honest, thats why I like turbo lag... it's not only a traction control, but a fuel saver as well...

My guess is that you got a happy foot :biggrin: because your milage sounds exactly like mine... and I got a happy foot!

I was taking it easy to see what kinda mileage I was getting, only had to boost once to merge into traffic. Drove

I was taking it easy to see what kinda mileage I was getting, only had to boost once to merge into traffic. Drove 65 miles and filled back up and it took 5.084 gallons to fill it again. I was kinda shocked, I know what you mean about a happy foot though, its hard not to come into boost.

if we didnt have merge lanes, we would save so much gas...but be so unhappy!!! i like merging with my car:D

belive it or not its the 009s doing it to you i had deascent milage before the swap now its fallen and from talking to others its the 009 inj. eric has a good handle on them but the make the car run rich

I had the 009's in my car last year. I would drive to the track 100 miles each way and would average 25mpg. Running about 55-65mph. I was running one of Red's 93 street chips in my car.

Now granted I wasn't throttling it alot but from a few stop and go lights I just had to tip into it to make me smile a little bit!;)

I checked my mileage from a full tank of gas and even with 57lb. injectors, driving "briskly" having fun getting on it whenever I can, I get about 23 mpg.

12.7 mpg seems to indicate something is wrong unless you're at W.O.T 90% of the time or have 1,000 lbs of stuff in the trunk. What are your O2's reading at idle and cruise?

Sounds like an issue either with injectors or 02 sensor and cat. I average 22-25mpg with 50 MSD's along with some alky and 24 lbs of boost. I don't drive crazy but get in it every now and then.

With the cost of fuel these day's I figured I would see what kind of mileage I was getting. 12.7 mpg, ouch!!! Car runs great, stock block and heads, te44, 009's, tt 93 chip, thdp, atr exhaust, new vacuum lines and no exhaust leaks, walboro fuel pump hotwired, afpr set at 43# line off, blm's running at 128, new plug wires, new coil pack and module, translator with ls1 maf sensor, rjc boost controller, dutt neck stock intercooler, I'm sure I missed a few things. Any ideas to increase mileage? I was thinking of taking a road trip this summer but I would like to resolve this mileage issue. Thanks[/QUOTE Go back to the stock MAF & either Siemens or Bosch pintle style injector & avoid using more fuel pressure than ness.Install a fresh delco O2 sensor Have Eric reprogram your chip to accept all that.Install a combination vacuum/boost gauge & drive according to the highest vacuum that you can maintain & you will train yourself on how to drive for mileage. It's boring but works. If your going on a trip & can keep your foot out of it consider using a cheaper grade of fuel to save money.A lockup converter is good for about 2-3 mpg if you have one make sure its working properly & have the chip programmed to let it come in a little sooner.An over adjusted TV cable that forces the engine to shift at higher RPM can also decrease mileage. Also empty your trunk of that heavy tool box, wine bottles & 500# of stereo equipment that I suspect you might have.

AFTER (((all))) of your Scanmaster Readings are correct.....

1)Keep the weight of your car in check (unload unnecessary things)
2)drive 55 mph
3)have easy smooth accelerations at take off
4)keep the tire pressure in each tire at max psi according to label on tire
4)and make sure your torque convertor is locking up & your rpm is around 1700 +or- 100.
5)keep the car fuel & air filter clean
6)Every 6 months Jack up you car & lubricate all bushings & check wheel bearings and spin them to make sure no drag on them or the brakes
7)Wax the car every now & then so that it will gliiiiiidddddeee through the wind:tongue:

other than that theres not much else you can do or buy a pontiac G6 (30mpg!) or Toyota Prius (40mpg!!!):rolleyes:

I thought I was doing pretty good on my setup. MSD 50's, FMIC, TE44. Translator Pro running speed density, full time WBO2 closed loop control, etc.

On my daily commute, mixed urban/highway, I pulled off a repeatable 18mpg. Haven't ever checked the pure highway mileage yet. Never gets out that much anymore. Got another FUN daily driver.

Another thing that might help. A new fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced recently. (These have twice been the source of poor mileage in 2 other cars)

Also, might try some seafoam to clean things out a bit. Can't hurt...

With the cost of fuel these day's I figured I would see what kind of mileage I was getting. 12.7 mpg, ouch!!! Car runs great, stock block and heads, te44, 009's, tt 93 chip, thdp, atr exhaust, new vacuum lines and no exhaust leaks, walboro fuel pump hotwired, afpr set at 43# line off, blm's running at 128, new plug wires, new coil pack and module, translator with ls1 maf sensor, rjc boost controller, dutt neck stock intercooler, I'm sure I missed a few things. Any ideas to increase mileage? I was thinking of taking a road trip this summer but I would like to resolve this mileage issue. Thanks[/QUOTE Go back to the stock MAF & either Siemens or Bosch pintle style injector & avoid using more fuel pressure than ness.Install a fresh delco O2 sensor Have Eric reprogram your chip to accept all that.Install a combination vacuum/boost gauge & drive according to the highest vacuum that you can maintain & you will train yourself on how to drive for mileage. It's boring but works. If your going on a trip & can keep your foot out of it consider using a cheaper grade of fuel to save money.A lockup converter is good for about 2-3 mpg if you have one make sure its working properly & have the chip programmed to let it come in a little sooner.An over adjusted TV cable that forces the engine to shift at higher RPM can also decrease mileage. Also empty your trunk of that heavy tool box, wine bottles & 500# of stereo equipment that I suspect you might have.

Since I have added the 009's, translator, ls1maf and tt chip the car has never run better, not saying it isnt killing my milage. I never could get a stock maf sensor to run worth a darn, thats why I upgraded. I was having major blm issues even after installing new vacuum lines and checking for leaks, after the translator swap and new maf my blm's are now in range. No stereo equipment in the car, it got stolen and I just never put another stereo in as to discourage punk theifs.

I replaced the fuel filter a couple thousand miles ago when I replaced the injectors. I will try the seafoam and replace the filter after that runs through. I have a vacuum-boost gauge installed. Transmission and stock d5 was rebuilt and seems to be working properly. I would hate to have to go back to stock style injectors and maf, I thought if I just kept my foot out of it my mileage would not suffer that much. I have an atr cold air kit on the car and I know it does not help for performance or so some say but I liked the looks of the enclosed air filter, wondering if taking it off would help some:confused: I am not trying to build a super mileage machine but I thought I could find a happy medium with the upgrades.