You can type here any text you want

Hot Air VS 109 Block

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gunslinger

I'm looking at a car that is a hot air conversion car. The builder retained the hot air block and rebuilt it with a turbo crank, cryoed 206-206 cam, .030 over hypers, and put all 86-87 intercooled stuff on it.

My question is...how strong is the hot air block? Will it be able to take a few seasons of daily driving and mid 11 second passes? I'll build a 109 for 10's.

This is the only thing that is really holding me back from going after this car.
:confused:

It can handle 11's
Did the samething to my HA motor (Still have it) then went to a built 109 motor

blocks are strong. im sure u could take it into the 9's

If the car is in good shape don't let the fact that the motor is a HA
By the way HA came with a turbo crank same as 109

The 109 block came out in 85 so if it's an 85 it may have a 109 block. Easiest way is to check the casting # or count the pan bolts. 14 is early and 20 is the later block but the casting # is the best way.

Awesome

Thanks for the info guys. The car is clean and priced right, just a little concerned about the HA block.

All production 3.8 blocks are equally weak. As long as the builder is up to par i wouldnt worry about the block. There is no advantage to a 109 over an earlier block. Deck height is taller on the earlier castings. They used a single steel shim head gasket. So if you used a graphite gasket then you have lower than 8:1 compression unless the deck was milled or the rods lengthened. Be sure he verified pushrod lenghth. You cant just throw them in and torque down the rockers. The 109 is not stronger. Its just the latest casting they made.

Back