You can type here any text you want

Hot air vs Cold air

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ncgreg231

www.turb0buickS.com
I guess this is mainly for TTA89 & cool84.

I was helping Sharif tune his 85GN. He had the wastegate tightnened all the way down. With a hypertech chip, the factory boost gauge was saying 13psi with pretty lazy spool up. We switched back to the factory chip and it was down to 9 psi. He was convinced that his boost gauge was worthless, but he had plenty of threads, so I convinced him to try and cut 1/4in off the end. We did, guessed at where the rod should be, and test drove. 0 deg Knock @8psi, so two turns on the rod, and test again. O deg knock, two more turns on the rod, no knock. We kept going back and forth - shortening, testing, shortening, testing, until we had maxed the rod out again at @ 14psi. O2 @ .95-1.02mV. Soon, Sharif will thread the rod out some more so he can get some more turns on it. Not to mention that spool up is a lot quicker.

Anyway, we ran a little bit on the highway when it was finally time for me to go home. He was in front, so he turned onto the highway first ahead of me. I think he waited until I was fully on the highway to go WOT, but I pretty much did the same at the same time. I pretty much went by relatively easy from @ 1.5 lengths behind him to maybe 1 length ahead. Not exactly flyin by, but not too hard either.

This is on mostly stock cars, and with more boost, the 85 should run faster. Just thought I'd share anyway.:o

I call BS. No way an IC car could beat a hotair. :) Sounds about right to me. It took a chip, K&N, and 18psi until I could beat a bone stock IC car and I'm talking barely pulling away. The car went high 13s at 101.7mph like that but mine always seemed to run better than most with the same mods for some reason. Funny thing is, around here (2 TTAs, 3 87 GNs, 1 86 GN, 2 84 GNs, and 1 84 T-type) my car is the second fastest next to my dad's stage II car. And yes, I've done a little work and gotten it tuned since I ran the time in my sig. The advantage to owning a hotair is I've always got the excuse that mine is the slowest year of the GN and I tell them my dad's is an 87 (I don't mention the stage II part or that it started life as a hotair) which is the fastest year and see if they want to race a fast one. The reaction is usually pretty funny.

times

cool,
a 12.9 @ 110mph with a 2.3 60foot? i'm throwing up the BS flag here unless u have one damn powerful 450 horse hotair motor. are u spinning a ton and then hooking up like a bastard? LOL send me a pic of that timeslip!! :D

I believe it, after seeing my times last friday in the TTA, 2.3 60ft times are typical with radials, I was getting 2.1 to 2.3 with almost no tire spin, but I also couldnt launch with more than 5psi because I would spin for 200ft+. If you launch with hardly any boost, you will just be a dog off the line and still have 2.x 60ft times, I know.
and yes a hotair car can run 12.9 rather easily, saw that done too.

That night the track wasn't prepped. I had boost set to 18psi and had radials. I came out with 1psi and when it hit second I nailed it and spun. I let completely off 3 more times until I was in third gear, put it to the floor, boost spiked to 18psi for about 1 second, tires screeched and then it fell to 13psi with audible detonation for the rest of the run. It turned out the catalytic convertor I had just put on for smog the day before was very small and somehow plugged up and broke apart causing the boost to fall. When I took it off I had 20psi with no changes. That night the traction at the track was far worse than any street I've been on. I really wanted to see what it would do at high boost and running right with the old combo but I'll never know now.

What sucks is that timeslip got lost when I took it to work to show someone who didn't believe it. I do think I have a 13.0@110 somewhere.

Where's TTA89? Hotairs own TTAs.

cool 84...

With the mods your hotair GN has now your car should run real strong!!! I think by far the best mod was the Ford FM intercooler, because without the intercooler you most likely can't run as much boost compared to an intercooled or coldair car... Without the intercooler how much boost were you able to run? Just curious cause my thinking was the intercooler cools the charge and the cooler you run the more boost you can run without knock... Also was the stock boost setting on the hotair cars lower than the intercooled TRs?

Here's the weird thing. When both mine and my dad's were "stock" (K&N, FP, regulator, and a chip) we could run 20psi on 92 octane with no knock except once and a while on the shifts. I added a small Spearco intercooler and even with the 02s the same it would knock at 17-18psi on 92 octane. It made a ton more power on pump gas but knocked at a lower boost level. I can't explain it but others have had the same exprience. Maybe it's because the hotair intake is so restrictive it's not actually flowing much air into the cylinders. We saw my dad's charge air guage peg at 300 degrees a few times on a 20psi run but it really didn't detonate.

I think the stock boost level was a pound or two lower than the IC cars.

Thanks for the info cool

That is pretty weird, but either way hotair or coldair your still running boost and kicking V8 ass!!!:D

Back