You can type here any text you want

hot air vs dsm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackAssGN

any guys with stock hot airs race any stock 1st gen front wheel drive turbo dsms? i'm sure 86/87 would beat one but i'm not sure with my hot air.

FWD? I doubt you'll have a problem with it. Get a good launch an turn the boost up a little.

You shouldn't have any problems...you're high 14s stock, my friend has a '99 GS-T with mods and he ran a BEST of 14.77 after a string of high-mid 15 second passes.

Originally posted by boostin
You shouldn't have any problems...you're high 14s stock, my friend has a '99 GS-T with mods and he ran a BEST of 14.77 after a string of high-mid 15 second passes.

Hhmm, actually hot-airs are in the mid 15's totally stock....and he's talkin bout 1st gens, which have a bigger turbo and less mechanical problems than 2nd gens.

exactly......i have twice as many miles on my gn than the dsm.....dsm also has a cat-back

Okay, then turn up the boost a bit...If he's a stick you have a chance, like I said, a best of 14.77, my friend has the boost up and a BOV, exhaust, etc, it took him a while to nail that 14.77. The 2nd gens main problem is the crank walk, that won't affect a race, it will totally shut it down. The 1st gen was 190hp and the 2nd gen was 210hp.

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
Hhmm, actually hot-airs are in the mid 15's totally stock....and he's talkin bout 1st gens, which have a bigger turbo and less mechanical problems than 2nd gens.

you shouldnt race anyone with a stock car anyway, spend a couple bucks and get a K&N, crack the downpipe open (put a nut between the flanges), put the boost at 14psi

if its running right (but it probably isnt) you will smoke his ass like no tomorrow.

my friend's tweaked 91 laser ran 9.6's in the 8th.

my car ran 9.30s

I raced a 2nd gen in my hotair, boy was i suprised.. but my car aint that quick, but heres how it went down.. and waht i had on my car.

walbro 307, '87 radiator, tranny/oil coolers, electric fan, adj fpr, K&N, ajd. wastegate rod, stock up/dp, atr 2.5" exhaust, custom chip i ****ed around with.

Welp here i was testing the chip out, but i was still getting some knock, but it wouldnt get in the red atleast, so i said to hell with it, I saw the mitsu swerving, and decided to "school" him... it was only a GS.. and I figured only GS-T's were turbo.. Guess I was wrong, i got next to him and i could just HEAR it ... sweet,

He nailed it, i nailed it, I couldnt pass him, just when i got to speed, he wasnt pulling away.... did this all downt he highway until a light, we both went balls out and it was rather even...

Ive since tweaked the chip much better (less timing, more boost) spark plug gaps, etc, the other day it went from 30 to 65 in well, quickly.. with no knock.. He was probably running mid 14's because when I had the ENTIRE STOCK setup still, the car felt a good bit stronger than a stock hotair.. (after i installed big radiator, oil cooler, adj wastegate, tranny cooler, elec fan, K&N)

the FWD you sshould be able to handle..the AWD 1st gen I would wory about...my buddy has a 1st gen AWD eclipse, ran a 14.1 with homemade BOV, and full exhaust

okay, heres how it went down for ME.

my car had:
electric fan
jc chip for low timing (17* high boost)
boost was at EIGHT PSI, YES, EIGHT PSI
a 2.25" non mandrel exhaust (SUCKED, i gained 5psi when i cracked open the DP before the cat

his car had:
a cutout
cold air intake
like 15psi boost

we hung even from 40mph to 120mph

fyi, my car is the same as it was then, it went from 9.5's to 9.3's to 8.9's to 8.6's with TUNING ALONE

Hmm, I've been hanging out on the DSM boards lately. Sounds like a catback will get them in the low 14s.

Good race, and "get your boost on" lol.

last time i went to the track, i ran a 14.3 at 105, i have a 90 laser fwd btw, it sucks off the line but anything above about 45 or 3rd gear, it catches and starts moving. I know a guy that just bought a fwd 1g stock it dynoed at 175, after full 3" turboback and 17psi it did 235, which is probably good for low 14's im guessing. it all depends on what its got

My 93 DSM runs 14.3 with a cat back and a K&N, thats it. It launches really well on the street with AWD. Know a few guys that run low 11's, tons of them in the 12's they react very well to bolt ons.

Don't sleep on the a 1st gen dsm turbo, I had one a couple of years ago, bought it off a guy who used to race it. Claimed he brought it up to 145mph. All it had was a k&n, hks fuel computer, a 3"exhaust, dp with high flow cat and a centerforce clutch. I assume the turbo was stock (maybe not considering the fuel computer was big bucks back in the days. )

Back then i did not no much about tuning . Car had 145k!!! I used to run it at 20 psi on 93 octane. The car's tires would break loose in mid roll in 1st and 2nd gear!!!. There was crazy G-forces pulling you back in the seat. Unfortunetely i was never able to take it to the track and find out what it really runs. Sold it for a 1000$ (stupid me :mad: !) I am now in the process off looking for an awd version as my daily driver.

I have a GN now and all i know is that car ran close to what my car runs now.

Back