House painting questions

gn1220

Getting ready to paint my house but I would like some input. I planned on brushing/rolling the house with the exception of the brick on the front that will have to be sprayed. Then I figured if I have to rent the sprayer for the brick, might as well spray the whole house. Sounds good but I'm getting mixed reviews about spraying. Some say not to spary but can't give a good reason. Some say to spray but back roll as I go. Others say don't be lazy and brush/roll it. I hate painting so spraying/back rolling sounds best to me. Any painters here who can give me some pointers? Regardless, I plan to spend a lot of time on the prep and use a high quality paint and primer. FWIW, the house was last sprayed and it's held up very well for 15+ years.

Why rent, you can buy a Wagner Power Painter for about $50 or so. I painted a brick wall with one, and it worked very well. Much easier than rolling the paint on.

I sprayed mine with a rented sprayer took about 5 hours.I started out with a Wagner sprayer of some sort,bot the vibration,and control of material was unbearable.The only thing with spraying is make sure you mask the edges and hold up a peice of cardboard to kelp control overspray. When I was done it looked like new siding. Oh yeah went thru what seemed like a alot of paint, but 10 years later it still looks good,but my wife wants a different color.:mad:

Just talked to a buddy that painted his house. It was a lap board type house in SC. He bought a wagner and sprayed, while his buddy followed him up with a roller. His house isn't that big (1600sf) and he said that he burned up 3 of those wagners, finally took the last one back and said he didn't want it after he was done painting the house.

I've painted my house twice. Both times I used a Wagner sprayer to apply the paint, then went back over it with a brush to get a nice finish. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a nice uniform finish with just the sprayer.

I'm not a painter but the guy across the street from me painted his brick house last fall. I went over and watched for a while. They were spraying and backrolling. He masked off all his windows and went to town. It took several long days but it looks incredibly nice; house is about 1700 sq ft. The sprayer was a commercial one with the stainless pump cylinder. I know cause I had to help him clean some globs out of one of the elbows. Definitely spray some clean water first if you're renting one to ensure it's gonna work properly. His was caked with dried paint the other guy didn't flush properly and of course, he already started siphoning paint from a bucket.

Thanks guys! I'm going to rent the sprayer because I would rather use a commercial type unit. I think I will power wash the house, sand any rough spots, caulk, prime and spray. I will probably tape all windows because they will be a different color anyway. I really like the thought of spraying the windows to avoid paint build-up on them. Sound good? How long should I wait to tape the house to spray the windows? Please feel free to offer any tips.

One more thing. My aluminum storm windows. They look ugly. I've seen a few houses that the owners have painted the frames the same color as the windows and I think it looks much better. Have any of you done this? If so, did you just clean the frame and use the same paint or should I do some kind of primer for the metal?

gn1220,

You may want pickup this month's issue of Fine Homebuilding, good article that answers exactly same type of questions you're asking. Article is entitled "REPAINTING A HOUSE: DON'T BE AFRAID TO SPRAY".
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/fh_currentissue.asp

Fine Homebuilding articles are written by professional contractors, generally competence of advice is much better than run-of-the-mill "handyman" magazines.

Also search their online index for past articles ... they also have a Forum which as AT LEAST as opinionated and helpful as TB.com ;)