Houston Raceway Park Sunday April 9

I agree, we really should do this more often.

Maybe we could go to Houston Motorsports Park next time.

HMP seems to be prep'd a lot better. My 60' times were really off, Shawn said his were off too.

Based on these pictures, you might think about putting a T/A aluminum cover on your rearend when you rebuild it. I think the bolts that preload the caps that hold the posi would help.

Or you could go to a Ford 9", like I did, and not have to worry about rear end breakage as much.

I read where you were running 28 spline Moser axles, you might really think about going to the 30 spline axles, they will help a lot. I broke 3 sets of 28 spline Moser's before I went to the 9"

Hey JDSfastGN,

I think Chuck, the guy with the orange GN powered '69 Camaro, has a 8.5" rearend for sale.

Let me know if you need his number,

Wheeler said:
Hey JDSfastGN,

I think Chuck, the guy with the orange GN powered '69 Camaro, has a 8.5" rearend for sale.

Let me know if you need his number,

hey thanks, i think everything with the case and stuff is ok, should just need an eaton posi unit and maybe some new gears (looks like somehow the pinion shot back and hit the carrier when i look at the marks on the carrier) What power level were you at where you broke the 28 spline mosers? Ive heard these are good till mid to high 10s or so. If i find out there is damage to the rearend itself ill let ya know about Chucks rearend. Tell him thanks again for the jackstands and stuff as well. ttyl.

I am all about going to HMP. Much closer and not a bad track at all. My 60ft were off as well even though I don't have the power like some of you. Maybe I need new tires b/c mine are 4 year's old. Anyone know of a good place to get some slicks for a decent price?

Rob

JDSfastGN,

I was running mid to high 10's when I started breaking axles.
Approx 1.36 - 1.49 60' times.
On 28 x 10.5w Slicks using a trans brake.

At minimum, I would go back with a quality (rebuildable) posi, new gears, new bearings & a T/A cover.

I've heard of people going really fast with a well set up 8.5 rearend.
You might call EJ and find out who built his rearend. His has held up very well to his high HP engine, plus EJ makes sure his rearend is warmed up before you hit it hard off the line, make one real easy pass before you shock the drive train with a hard launch.

Rob,

I'd email puddinpower about slicks, he has a good source for them.

Wheeler said:
JDSfastGN,

I was running mid to high 10's when I started breaking axles.
Approx 1.36 - 1.49 60' times.
On 28 x 10.5w Slicks using a trans brake.

At minimum, I would go back with a quality (rebuildable) posi, new gears, new bearings & a T/A cover.

I've heard of people going really fast with a well set up 8.5 rearend.
You might call EJ and find out who built his rearend. His has held up very well to his high HP engine, plus EJ makes sure his rearend is warmed up before you hit it hard off the line, make one real easy pass before you shock the drive train with a hard launch.

Thanks man, im going to go ahead with a eaton posi/with new bearings etc... to go with my 28 spline mosers. In the future when i get a little more money i will probably install a TA cover as it looks like a nice peice. I'm probably going to go with a new ring and pinion even if these look like they are ok. My only choice i guess is whether to go with 3.42s or 3.23s. The benifits of the 3.23s would allow me to run on my 17" street wheels/tires and not buzz through the traps at 5900 unlocked, but i don't want to lose any 60 ft. hmm choices choices :cool: