How bad is it to do a blast in OD?

hhmmm....I'm almost starting to think that staying in OD is the 1 to go for the following reasons:

1. In case you need it on the top end.

2. It shouldn't matter if you're at the track since it shouldn't shift there anyway unless you're making huge power.

3. It can help you identify a converter issue....and

4. It shouldn't matter if you're on the highway since it should kick down to 3 anyway.

I'm just not seeing the downside here...here some stuff about the big load, but nothing much about direct results related to it :confused:

hhmmm....I'm almost starting to think that staying in OD is the 1 to go for the following reasons:

2. It shouldn't matter if you're at the track since it shouldn't shift there anyway unless you're making huge power.

4. It shouldn't matter if you're on the highway since it should kick down to 3 anyway.

I'm just not seeing the downside here...here some stuff about the big load, but nothing much about direct results related to it :confused:

The downside is its a 33% ratio change which is not a good thing for a drag race.

If you guys are running out of RPM at the top end of a run, you need to do one of two things and one of them does NOT include shifting into OD! 1. get a taller rear tire like switching from 26" to 28"...or 2. change to a lower rear gear ratio like a 3.23 or 3.08...edit: a lockup converter helps some with dropping rpm but again, you are generating more heat than you have to

Shifting into OD on the 200-4R is not designed to handle extreme torque and horsepower even when built by a top builder. Like previously mentioned, it is designed for fuel economy and highway cruise! The only time I fried my 200-4R was because of countless OD shifts I used to do back when I was young and stupid. I took my trans to Vince Janis and he told me at the time, internally, it was the worst looking 200-4R he had ever seen! It was like a bomb went off inside the casing:D

HUH thats funny. i shift manual al the time roadracing the tr2004r and engine brake on it al the time!.
do lots of highspeed lock up OD runs wel over 140mph and tops at 160. had it upto 190mph. trans never skipt a beat.

Cool sounds awesome... but OD has a one way sprag so there is no engine braking probably just wind resistance slowing you down.

What kinda car is it in?

Turbo nasty its a 68 Pontiac Firebird. i engine brake(manual) from 4 to 3 to 2 to 1... on the road race track its always 2/3/4gear up and down.
and altho lots of people in the pro-touring G-Mashine seen go to the 4l80 and the manual tremec 5 and 6 speeds.
im realy impressed with the TR2004r roadrace capebilety, because its like a clusthless manual!! shifting up and douwn. when in cruising i just leave it in D and when on the highway in OD.....

I agree. What do I know