How Big Is Too Big?

chiken

DUDE NICE MONTE!
I want to run in the 10's. i just pulled my motor for the rebuild. i was looking at turbos that need 3400 stall and 65lb injectors. would i be able to drive on the street with a setup like this? please only respond with what you know not what you think:D . thanks

Just get ready to spend money.

009s, 44 and stock d5 will give you a lot of performance for little money. I'm shooting for 10s also, and it costs a lot more.

I would suggest a girdle while you have the motor out if your going for 10s.

Your looking at:
Turbo - $1000
Converter - $900 + $300 install
Injectors and chip - $700

This is just the bare bones basics. There are a lot of other little things you'll need.

I have a pte 54, 55 lb injectors and a 3500 nl converter and it drives just as nice as it did with everything stock. I was kind of afraid of the 3500 nl converter until I got it in there. You would never know it if I didn't tell you it was that high of a stall.

I run a TA66 turbo 3400 stall n/u. The car goes low 1.5's 60 ft. The car is very streetable. I can cruise 70-75mph @2400-2500 rpm with no problems. The 63-64 turbo's would work good with the 3400 stall converter.

The girdle is a much if you want the 109 block to LAST.

Good Luck

Yes, you will be able to drive it on the street, but daily driving a TR with a 10 second combo (a high stall 9" converter, big injectors, big turbo, etc.) is not really a good idea unless you like breaking stuff and spending more $$$!!! A good 10 second combo IMO is a TE-45A or TE-63 turbo, 72's, and a 3600 stall 9" converter along with some ported iron heads or GN1's and a good size billet roller cam (if you have the $$$) or a good flat tappet cam (the 212/212 or 218/218 seem to be pretty good flat tappet cams if you want to run in the 10's).

i know im going to have to rob a bank to pay for everything but it will be worth it. i already plan on a girdle and billet mains with trw pistons.i was looking at the te66 turbo. what do you think? thanks for the replies

The TE66 is basically the same turbo as the TE45A and it's good for around 725hp and I've heard of a good amount of guys going mid to low 10's with it. I would get around a 3600-3800 stall converter for that turbo and if you want to push it into the mid 10's get some 65 or 72lb injectors.

She really said that :(.

But, I have a t-72 turbo and billet 3600 non-lockup converter, and it runs great on the highway (about 2800 rpm cruising at 65). Even around town it's pretty streetable. But it takes a while to get to the "sweet" spot of a turbo this big. What I mean is, my 72 will spool up really quick to 5 psi or so, but it doesn't feel like it's doing much at 5 psi. It obviously keeps climbing in boost, but the "sweet spot" is pretty high on a turbo that big (the 72 I mean).

Derrick

10s

i agree with every one else i am trying to go 10s also the car went 11.27 on the old combo witch was a 62 turbo 009s 208-210 cam ported irons 3200 lock up and 308 gears. just got back from the dyno last weekend with new combo for 10s t66 55s front mount same every thing else 456hp and 607tq i also have a electromotive tech2 so i can see duty cycle on injecters 55s were plenty wish me luck on 10s

10's are definitely more work & more money, but if you have your mind made up....

A TE45-A turbo will definitely get the job done, and it is roughly $240 less than a 66 turbo. We sell the 45-A's from John Craig, and he has made the new ones run much better than the older "reguar" 45's. It is truely a sweet street/strip turbo, good for mid 10's.

You seem to be shooting high on the injectors & converter too. 55#'rs will get you upper 10's with no problem. They will be a bit better on mileage & idle than bigger inj's. As for converters, the vigilante 9.5" "0" pump (3000/3200 stall) works fine too. If it's running right, you can get 3600 stall out of one easily. It also drives like a stocker at no/low boost too. You may find that a 3600 stall converter gives you 4200 at your power level. I had a 4000 stall & got 4600, and in another car that was good for mid/low 10's got 5000 stall from it. It all depends on how hard you plan to launch it too. The GN1's are a real good idea for your goal too, and let you run a little more boost on lower octane on the street. Don't get too crazy on the cam either, or your low end will suffer, and it won't spool up or stall like it should/could.
Hope that helps. Nice to see another one break the 10's :)