You can type here any text you want

How can I tell if I have Powermaster or Vacuum brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FastB

It maybe a dumb question but I'm in need of a new MC and just bought this car (85 GN) and still new to the GN/Buick game. How do I tell if it's vacuum or Powermaster?
Original owner says it's vacuum..but he also said all 85's had vacuum but I seem to be finding different info.
I'll post a pic of my MC when I get home...

No Turbo Regal ever had vacuum from the factory. Pre 1985 had hydroboost although I think you will see powermaster on later 1985 models. 1986/1987 Turbo Regals had Powermaster from the factory.

Powermaster:
fb9c_1.JPG

Vacuum:
7044_lg.jpg

Easy. If they work they're vacuum. If the pedal hits the floor you got power master. Lol

Thanks for the pics...I def have vacuum..and the more I read I've heard that if u have LS1 front brakes then it's also been changed to vacuum.

Btw, my problem is, sometimes I'll hit my brakes and it will go to the floor before it stops but once u pump the pedal the pressure returns. I'm thinking the master cylinder is giving out cuz I can see that fluid has been leaking and running down the firewall. I believe the booster is good.
Gonna buy a Rabestos (sp?) replacement aluminum MC...hopefully that will solve my problem. Otherwise, the brakes on this car feels amazing..LS1 upgrade is worth its weight in gold. LOL
Thanks guys!
Rick

Thanks for the pics...I def have vacuum..and the more I read I've heard that if u have LS1 front brakes then it's also been changed to vacuum.

Btw, my problem is, sometimes I'll hit my brakes and it will go to the floor before it stops but once u pump the pedal the pressure returns. I'm thinking the master cylinder is giving out cuz I can see that fluid has been leaking and running down the firewall. I believe the booster is good.
Gonna buy a Rabestos (sp?) replacement aluminum MC...hopefully that will solve my problem. Otherwise, the brakes on this car feels amazing..LS1 upgrade is worth its weight in gold. LOL
Thanks guys!
Rick

Vacuum brakes and LS1 don't HAVE to go together. :)

Yes, it sounds like your MC has a leak. Make sure to bench bleed the new one and bleed your system good.

check the adjustment of your rear brakes- if they are way loose, then you will have to pump the pedal a time or two to get the shoes in contact with the drums. after that, it will hold pressure. as soon as you let off the brakes for a couple of seconds, the shoes retract and you have to start all over.

No Turbo Regal ever had vacuum from the factory. Pre 1985 had hydroboost although I think you will see powermaster on later 1985 models.

Sorry but the earliest turbo cars were vacuum brakes. It changed in 81-82 and they went to hydroboost.:biggrin:

Thanks guys!
Rick

Yes, either your master cylinder is going bad, with that pump up business, or, there's air in the system. Try bleeding it.

If it's leaking get rid of it don't even bleed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Back